Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clogged AIR CHECK VALVE cause ticking?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default clogged AIR CHECK VALVE cause ticking?

About a month ago i had a SES light(before headers) and the code come up as drivers air check valve. i reset the PCM two or three times and finally stayed off. would a clogged AIR CHECK VALVE cause noise? help me with this.

Also after my header install i noticed that the number 1 plug wire is reaaaally close to the header. not sure if this matters or not but just thought id put it in there for comments

BTW im not going to delete the AIR system unless somebody in the North Carolina area wants to come help me do it!!

TIA guys
Old 07-07-2005, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

going up guys!! need some help with this
Old 07-08-2005, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

bringing it back up, any info is greatly appreciated
Old 07-08-2005, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive not heard of it causing a ticking noise, that usaully related to an exhaust leak. It sounds like you are running emissions headers, so maybe one of you air tubes or egr tube off the headers is leaking, or maybe there is a leak else where. Also, what type of motor oil are you running? the LS1's tend to be a somewhat noisy engine as far as valve train noise is concerned, a heavy weight oil such as Mobil 1 0w-40 may help the problem as well. Also, removing the air system is very easy, i have read up a lot on it in prep for installing my qtp race style headers next week or so. If you have a tuner to delete the codes, i would get rid of it! Here's a good write up on a 2001/2002 ls1 car for how to remove air!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328977Being
Old 07-08-2005, 05:11 PM
10 Second Club

bad check valve can cause some ticking, thats why guys that keep AIR make restrictor plates when they keep emissions with long tube headers. try to pinpoint the sound with a long extension to ear trick, or even try to hold the valve and see if you can tell anything
Old 07-08-2005, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not sure what size the air hole is on Pacesetters.But if it is to big it will cause the ticking you hear and eventually cause the check valves to go bad.When the hole is to big it causes fluttering which is more than likely causing your problems.

You need to make a plate the size of the fitting and put a small hole in it.you need to run a gasket on both sides.I used the stock gasket and the new ones that cam with my headers.I used an 11/64 drill.The hole is smaller than it looks in the pic.Thats black soot around the hole.I dont have any smog crap anymore,so thats your only other option.
Attached Thumbnails clogged AIR CHECK VALVE cause ticking?-s4100001.jpg   clogged AIR CHECK VALVE cause ticking?-s4100002.jpg  
Old 07-08-2005, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GregWS6&z28
bad check valve can cause some ticking, thats why guys that keep AIR make restrictor plates when they keep emissions with long tube headers. try to pinpoint the sound with a long extension to ear trick, or even try to hold the valve and see if you can tell anything

We replied almost at the same time.I'm thinking what your thinking.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This might help too
http://riptide63.homestead.com/restrictor.html
Old 07-08-2005, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by natronathon
ive not heard of it causing a ticking noise, that usaully related to an exhaust leak. It sounds like you are running emissions headers, so maybe one of you air tubes or egr tube off the headers is leaking, or maybe there is a leak else where. Also, what type of motor oil are you running? the LS1's tend to be a somewhat noisy engine as far as valve train noise is concerned, a heavy weight oil such as Mobil 1 0w-40 may help the problem as well. Also, removing the air system is very easy, i have read up a lot on it in prep for installing my qtp race style headers next week or so. If you have a tuner to delete the codes, i would get rid of it! Here's a good write up on a 2001/2002 ls1 car for how to remove air!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328977Being

i have recently been using the MOBIL 1 0W-40. im thinkin to just replace the check valve and see what happens.

Quick Reply: clogged AIR CHECK VALVE cause ticking?