Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

metalic ringing noise from front of engine when warm

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 01:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default metalic ringing noise from front of engine when warm

its been doing this for over a year now, just now getting aggrivating.

when the car is first turned on it makes all the normal noises, piston slap, etc ... but when it gets warmed up there is a metalic ringing noise from the front of the engine i think. when revved up beyond 800 - 900rpm the noise goes away, but at idle its so loud you can hear it on the other side of the house.

this is ONLY the case when its warm, until the engine warms up its silent.

anything i should be looking for? its starting to drive me nuts so i'm motivated to fix it.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

Could be a tensioner. Could also be a bolt in the exhaust that it loose until the pipes warm up and the tolerance changes so that it stops ringing.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:12 PM
12 Second Club

lol... I think I got the same thing. Its after its really warm though with me after driving awhile. Sound like a high pitch ringing...kinda like some little bell rolling around in there...rattling kinda???
Old 07-08-2005, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Y2K SS
lol... I think I got the same thing. Its after its really warm though with me after driving awhile. Sound like a high pitch ringing...kinda like some little bell rolling around in there...rattling kinda???
yep, that sounds like it.

gotta figure out what is making the noise now. it sounds very similar to when my tensioner pulley went bad in my old LT1.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:15 PM
10 Second Club

i had a slight metallic noise that would occur much like you've described. i pulled my valve cover and found that it was a bad valve. My valve was bad in that I had some smashed/broken valve keepers and the rocker arm had worn down about 1/4 of an inch of the valve stem and i was about to drop a valve into a piston. pulling valve covers is easy and it'd be a safe bet to check all that stuff anyway
Old 07-08-2005, 07:44 PM
TECH Resident

Do you have LT's? If so, check your passanger side header to see if it's touching the heat shield on that side. When in reverse, my header vibrates against the heat shield and makes a sound similar to what you're describing.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

nope no longtubes

drove the car around, put it up on ramps and got under it ... sound seems to be comming from the bottom of the car. pulled the A/C belt and the noise seemed to go away. put the A/C belt back on and once warmed up again it makes noise.

spinning the A/C tensioner pulley seems to make a very small grinding noise, so i'm going to assume that its my problem. is there a seperate part# for the pulley or is the whole assembly one unit?

this is on a 1999 SS
Old 07-09-2005, 08:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by GregWS6&z28
i had a slight metallic noise that would occur much like you've described. i pulled my valve cover and found that it was a bad valve. My valve was bad in that I had some smashed/broken valve keepers and the rocker arm had worn down about 1/4 of an inch of the valve stem and i was about to drop a valve into a piston. pulling valve covers is easy and it'd be a safe bet to check all that stuff anyway
Thank you for that new worry. Just put the LS6 intake on today. I should've pulled the covers then. Mine has that same sound.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:46 AM
10 Second Club

well, it's just something else to be aware of.. gotta check out everything. dont want it costing you $3000 right now.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by anasazi

when the car is first turned on it makes all the normal noises, piston slap, etc ... but when it gets warmed up there is a metalic ringing noise from the front of the engine i think. when revved up beyond 800 - 900rpm the noise goes away, but at idle its so loud you can hear it on the other side of the house.

anything i should be looking for? its starting to drive me nuts so i'm motivated to fix it.
This is kind of the same thing I have that nobody could seem to help with. It almost sounds like coins clanging around in your pocket. And its annoying and loud. I narrowed down where the noise is coming from but have no idea how to stop it cuz itys inside the exhaust pipes up by the cats.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:33 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

Originally Posted by Violatorno1
Thank you for that new worry. Just put the LS6 intake on today. I should've pulled the covers then. Mine has that same sound.
mine too. LOL
Old 07-15-2021, 10:01 AM

Default The ring

Originally Posted by anasazi

My car was doing the same thing took it four different places nobody can figure it out, but I think I figured out the problem it's the exhaust flap I took out my exhaust flap fuse and I haven't had the noise the symptoms or anything since.

Quick Reply: metalic ringing noise from front of engine when warm