Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumped Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dumped Exhaust

I was wondering if I'm losing any performance by having my exhaust dumped instead of having the common catback like everyone else. This setup was already on there when I bought the car and I can't tell what kind of muffler it is as well as the catted-y since my car is lowered. There's only one cat conv. on the y-pipe and then it's mergered into the muffler. It's not a flowmaster merge. Then it's dumped a few feet before the axle. Another thing is, does the stock y come with one cat conv. or two because there's only one on the y-pipe. So anyways would I be getting more gains by going to a catback or should I leave it as it is. Thanks yall!
Old 07-08-2005, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There is only 1 cat on the y? You mean, after the merge, or before? If it is before, then that means that only 4 cyliders are getting catted! That CAN'T be good, as it means that one side of the engine is having to push harder to get the exhaust out.

As far as the rest of your question, a dump before the axle will not hurt you at all. You probably won't save much over a good muffler, but it won't hurt you. Plus, you get to save 20 or so pounds by not having an over axle pipe, muffler, and tips!
Old 07-08-2005, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram
There is only 1 cat on the y? You mean, after the merge, or before? If it is before, then that means that only 4 cyliders are getting catted! That CAN'T be good, as it means that one side of the engine is having to push harder to get the exhaust out.

As far as the rest of your question, a dump before the axle will not hurt you at all. You probably won't save much over a good muffler, but it won't hurt you. Plus, you get to save 20 or so pounds by not having an over axle pipe, muffler, and tips!
Sorry, there's only one cat (passenger side) on the y-pipe before the merge.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like it's the same thing as having a cutout in the I-pipe. No reason for you to lose anything vs having a cat-bacl.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should be able to see the over convertor on the driver side.. its a little further up towards the motor
Old 07-08-2005, 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cjels1
you should be able to see the over convertor on the driver side.. its a little further up towards the motor
Over Converter? Is that in a way replacing the cat on that side of the y-pipe.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:38 PM
TECH Resident

I think he meant other. You shouldn't have to worry about only having one cat. I'm sure there is another one somewhere. If you have the stock y-pipe, then cjels1 is right on. The driver side cat is kinda buried closer to the motor.

FWIW, Mustang GT's (98-present) have 3 cats. I don't think you will have enough 'unequal' pressure to cause a problem.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:31 PM
10 Second Club

here,this is what they are getting at. for 98-99 years, the driver's side cat is attached directly to the manifold. the passenger cat is part of the y-pipe.

driver's side cat

Old 07-09-2005, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

oh ok got it, thanks yall