Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your thoughts on my overheating issue

Old 07-10-2005, 11:00 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Your thoughts on my overheating issue

(I just got done doing about an hour of looking through old posts concerning overheating.)

Please let me know what you think the problem could be:

Last week I bought a 2000 Z28 with an ATI Procharger running about 5 lbs. of boost. It is basically stock besides that.

Yesterday when I was out, the car started overheating real bad. The check engine light came on, and the water temperature guage shot all the way up. Then the car started dying. I pulled over and opened up the hood... The engine coolant cap was overflowing/boiling/steaming. It was bad news.

I let the car cool down and "limped" back to my friends house. The temp guage still stayed quite high, although it was normal for the first 3 or 4 minutes of driving.

My question is, what do you think the problem could be? Anything specific? Thermostat is an obvious culprit, but are there other things you would recommend checking?

This is a real shitty thing to have happen, especially since I just bought the car and it only has 29K miles
Old 07-10-2005, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the Tstat first. might want to get a new 160 and try that. If that doesnt work check out the water pump.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Possible blown head gasket..

Search this Thread