Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My exhaust.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My exhaust.....

I have heard good things about the Mac Midlengths, I ordered these about a year and a half ago. My first impression of the headers was good, the only thing I didn't really like was the raspyness created by the SLP Loudmouth, not the headers fault, thats what happens when you have the Loudmouth and an Off Road Y. The numbers on the dyno were nice, for the money that I spent on the headers. In my mind I was happy with these. Then one day I was messing around and downshifted to 2nd gear and low and behold the car became increasingly loud, louder than it was before....at idle. I pulled over in the nearest parking lot I saw and looked under the car and the Y-pipe separated itself from the cat back. Ok, fixed that with a band clamp, and on my way I went again, a couple months later, same thing happened, with out the excitement of downshifting or messing around, just the normal wear and tear of the roads, bumps, construction, etc. Well pulled the car in and slide the cat back back in they Y pipe and started it up. Well it was quieter, but now it sounded like I was having engine trouble, a ticking noise under the hood. I immeadiately pulled the car into the garage and jacked it up to look under it and well found the source of the problem. It rattled so much it loosened the bolts that connect it to the headers. Tightened everything up and went about my way. Couple months later, the cat back fell out of the Y pipe and history began repeating itself. I jacked the car up and yes it was loose from the header to the Y and completely out of the cat b ack. I go to tighten the bolts on the header part and snapped two of the bolts off. At this point all I could do was laugh at my own misfortune, I mean it was bound to happen, why not....Murphys Law....by they way, oh yeah thats my last name...just give me an excuse for everything thats happened to me. So I am now in the process of disassembling the exhaust and now noticed how many exhaust leaks I had.

Here is was it looked like under the car. I just threw the pictures in a folder I have no photos in, its not for sale. Exhaust leaks

So now I have got on order Pacesetter Long Tubs and Rumbler X Duals on the way, wish me luck with this set up.

-Mike-
Old 07-10-2005, 03:47 PM
TECH Resident

Some people like to be able to take the system apart thus using band clamps. I personally like to have everything welded in place. make sure that the pipes leaving your new headers are tucked up nice and secured w/ weld on hangers. If this is done you should have no leaks and a solid system. Good look and I'm suprised you weren't getting any false knock before.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

The Loudmouth was welded in place when I was going to school I welded that all up, this time everything is getting welded in place.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:13 PM
Teching In

can you post a sound clip of your LM? I personally like rasp.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

Unforuntetly I only had a clip of it at idle, and dont have it up. It was raspy between 13xx and 22xx RPM.