Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N Filter Oil Problems???

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation K&N Filter Oil Problems???

Has anyone ever had a problem with the oil on a K&N filter attaching to the MAF senors? Here is the article.
WARNING f-body owners
blackknight writes "The installation of an aftermarket reusable, oiled air filter may result in:

^ Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On

^ Transmission shift concerns, slipping and damaged clutch(es) or band(s)

^ Engine driveability concerns, poor acceleration from a stop, limited engine RPM range
The oil that is used on these air filter elements may be transferred onto the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor causing contamination of the sensor. As a result, the Grams per Second (GPS) signal from the MAF may be low and any or all of the concerns listed above may occur.

Tell me what you all think. Should i be worried or not with my K&N??
Old 07-12-2005, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had one in my car since '01, no problems - just don't over oil it when you clean it.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've been running my K&N filter for 5 years and not had any problems.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:59 PM
12 Second Club

Where'd that article come from?? First time I heard of that. O yeah I run one also.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have one on my car and zero problems. Everyone says they can screw up the MAF but I've never talked to anyone who has actually had any problems as a result of a K&N. I think the biggest argument against a K&N on an LS1 is that it's $50 and results in little to no HP increase. Even if the oil does get on the MAF wires they can be cleaned very easily.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

no problem here, just cleaned and oiled mine last night. if there was a problem with the oil screwing up a sensor, then all those other cars and trucks that run KN filters would get screwed up MAFs or MAPs or MASs and other sensors in thier TBs.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:59 AM
Teching In

I believe it just depends on how much oil you put on the filter. Over do it and your running the risk of damage to the MAF. I've had K&N open element filters on 4 different vehicles without incident.

On my one and only import, (Audi S4 - wife's car) I installed an ITG filter which is more like an oiled foam element filter. The oil from the filter transferred onto the MAF and resulted in the car running like ****. Had to replace the MAF for about $400. It came pre oiled from the manufacturer and I think that they just put too much oil on it.

FWIW I like using the areosol can of K&N oil so that I can get a nice and even thin coat on the element. I always threw away the little plastic bubbles of oil they included with the kits. I try more for a dark pink and not so much a red color. What is that stuff anyway? Looks like Marvel Mystery Oil...
Old 07-13-2005, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read that excess oil on the K&N air filter can flow onto the MAF and cause bad readings. The wires are heated and the oil cooks on, never to come off (without ruining it). At least, that's what I remember...

It's a common tendency to over-oil the filter. Less is better, to a point.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:31 AM
Launching!

I just spent 3 weeks trying to track down a sputtering problem. In the end, it turns out my MAF got screwed up by getting hit with oil from my Volant CAI.

If you're not careful about oiling the filter, a descreened MAF is highly susceptible to contamination.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:53 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Here's a trick. Oil the filter when it's still damp. You can use a lot less oil and as the filter dries, it will wick the oil over the entire filter surface.

This is the easy way to avoid over oiling the filter. Works for me 100% of the time.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:38 AM
TECH Regular

NO PROBLEMS I HAVE RAN K&NS FOR YEARS JUST DON'T OVER OIL THEM AND ONLY ON THE ENTRANCE SIDE OF THE FILTER. i JUST LIGHTLY MIST MINE