Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hissing sound, need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 10:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hissing sound, need help

I have a 98 TA and just installed Pacesetter LT with a TSP ORY. I have checked all the clamps and there are no leaks, i have checked and tightened all the header bolts along with the egr and air bolts, but i am still getting this hissing noise. I only hear it when accelrating,not while idling. I didnt hear it much on the first day, but now i really hear it. I used restrictor plates for the AIR, can the smaller hole be whats causing the hissing/wissling type noise i am hearing, or can it just be an increase in valve train noise? I dont hear any tapping or knocking, it is consistant with the rpms, it's always there, and i have lifted the car and checked for leaks a few times with non to be found. Any assistance would be apreciated. Also, i dont have any vacuum leaks.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The smaller hole could definitely be it, but why on earth are you using restrictor plates?
Old 07-13-2005, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah any hole isnt good. check that make sure they are on tight as well. sometimes they work there way loose.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do you have two of the same threads? Headers always increase the noises in your engine.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:49 PM
TECH Regular

I have two of the same thread because when i went to submit the original, i got an error saying the the sites bandwith had been exceeded, so i tried again.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1FST99Z
yeah any hole isnt good. check that make sure they are on tight as well. sometimes they work there way loose.
Do you know what the restrictor plate is for? It keeps the air check valves from burning up after a header install. What i am hearing is like a hissing sound. All my bolts are tight.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

My bet is on the restrictor plate, take that thing off and put blockoffs on or just leave it go if you can't stand the sound.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

if he puts block offs will he set a code??
Old 07-14-2005, 02:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jlashley2001ss
if he puts block offs will he set a code??
Well, if you put block-offs you should remove the system, and yes, thus setting a code b/c the AIR system is no longer connected to the system and receiving a signal. But, if you don't have the means of erasing/removing that code, then just bolt the system back up the way it was originally set up. This way you can remove the hissing sound and I doubt the AIR will "burn out" as quickly as you think. And if it does, then you can pay the small amount of money to delete the code(s) for AIR (or even pay nothing if you know someone with HPTuners or something of the likes). Either way, take the restrictor plate off now, that is the only thing causing you trouble at this point.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:09 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
Well, if you put block-offs you should remove the system, and yes, thus setting a code b/c the AIR system is no longer connected to the system and receiving a signal. But, if you don't have the means of erasing/removing that code, then just bolt the system back up the way it was originally set up. This way you can remove the hissing sound and I doubt the AIR will "burn out" as quickly as you think. And if it does, then you can pay the small amount of money to delete the code(s) for AIR (or even pay nothing if you know someone with HPTuners or something of the likes). Either way, take the restrictor plate off now, that is the only thing causing you trouble at this point.
The restrictor plate is causing hissing. I dont mind the Hissing, i just wanted to make sure that everything is ok.