Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

guy wats the best muffler????

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default guy wats the best muffler????

well i be getting for my setup pace long tube custom fab y pipe no cats back to a muffler,but which one will be the best?borla ,flowmaster exc.also wats the deal with the borla catback that is split so one side goes into the muffler the other tip go out back w/out going in the muffler i saw it has adjustable plates to control the sound.bigger one for hp at high rpms smaller one for lower end torque and lower sound.is this any good?
Old 07-15-2005, 09:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have flowmaster on my car with pacesetter longtube headers and no cats. it sounds great i think but if i could do it over again i would get magnaflow because it's better quality then flowmaster and not that expensive if money matters. i would get magnaflow and spend more money other things. go to www.ls1sounds.com to hear sound clips

Last edited by 99FBODY; 07-15-2005 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:35 PM
TECH Veteran

If you are going to waste your money on a flow get a cutout like I did.
Old 07-16-2005, 06:02 PM
Teching In

nah i really dont want a cutout.is magna flow better then a borla?
Old 07-21-2005, 06:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

i just don't think that borla is worth the money. and if you get headers borla is raspy at high rpms. but its all up to you its your car.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Everybody on this site is going to attack me when I say this, but there's nothing wrong with Flowmaster units. I've been asking for 2+ years if anybody can show me any proof that a flowmast doesn't flow for ****, and instead of an answer all I get is "It's common knowledge."

It's the cheapest, and it sounds the best. On those two points most people agree (with the exception of the GMMG people [those do sound pretty pimp]).

If you were to take the worst / suckiest aftermarket muffler, and stage it next to the almighty GMMG, you would probably see a dyno difference of less than 5hp. That's so insignificant a number when you're talking about listening to the car every day, and spending another couple hundred bucks for one of the 'better' units.

That's the way I see it. Again, I would ask anybody who thinks differently to please point me in the right direction to find the proof.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CaptUSA
Everybody on this site is going to attack me when I say this, but there's nothing wrong with Flowmaster units. I've been asking for 2+ years if anybody can show me any proof that a flowmast doesn't flow for ****, and instead of an answer all I get is "It's common knowledge."

It's the cheapest, and it sounds the best. On those two points most people agree (with the exception of the GMMG people [those do sound pretty pimp]).

If you were to take the worst / suckiest aftermarket muffler, and stage it next to the almighty GMMG, you would probably see a dyno difference of less than 5hp. That's so insignificant a number when you're talking about listening to the car every day, and spending another couple hundred bucks for one of the 'better' units.

That's the way I see it. Again, I would ask anybody who thinks differently to please point me in the right direction to find the proof.
yeah i had the flowmaster catback on my 94, great sound and the power is there i think everybody just likes jumping on the bandwagon.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:30 PM
SSU, come over and relax

magnaflow is awesome with an ory

i forgot i had a radio in my car i love listening to the exhaust now
Old 07-21-2005, 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CaptUSA

I have one+elec cutout--lotsa people say mine sounds great-I even have cats and stock manifolds--!!!!
Old 07-21-2005, 08:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah i love my flows they are awesome for the money when i only paid 200 bucks for it installed so i can't pass that up. i dont really see the difference in exhaust other than the sound my friend has borla on his ws6 and i raced him and ate my alive. granted he doesn't have headers but he has a m6 and i have an automatic. the more expensive exhaust isn't worth the money. and if your willing to put that much money into exhaust then get headers.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have nothing against flowmaster, but there was topic the other day on hooker against flowmaster, and it dynoed 10+ better than the flowmaster muffler. This was cat back against cat back here. If you search, i am sure you will find it.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

What is the best key phrase to look for? Hooker and Flowmaster both return 50 million hits.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

As for the original question, my opinion is to get a Dynomax bullet ($50 from Thunder Racing) in the I-pipe, then simple pipes out the back. I've got Hooker LT's, no cats, and the Dynomax 4" bullet (but mine dumps under the car). It sounds wonderful - I'm getting a chub thinking about it!

As for the "Flowmaster sucks" debate, all I've got is personal opinion and experience. My car came off the used lot with a Flowmaster, SLP y-pipe, and stock headers. At the dyno, I made 302rwhp. Then, with a cutout after the y-pipe, I made 322. But, like I've always said when people choose inferior parts - I just hope that I run against YOU when I go to the track!
Old 07-22-2005, 09:28 PM
Teching In

well lets see when the time comes around i'll see wat i get
Old 07-23-2005, 12:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There are a few things that made me decide on a GMMG system.
1) its all stainless
2) i got a good price on it
3) Its the best sounding exhaust, hands down, IMO, and many others
4) it just happens to flow the best

I had flowmaster before it, and they arent even comparable in sound. Flowmaster sounds decent at idle, gmmg just sits there and "burbles" Flowmaster wasnt very loud at all on accel, until about 3500-4000rpm, gmmg just barks over 2500. Up top the flowmaster sounded pretty good, but nothing like my gmmg.

I have always said buy exhaust on the sound, flow is nothing more than a $30 cutout away.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:10 PM
Teching In

wats the gmmg muffler?also ive seen many high hp car cars have corsa's on any good?
Old 07-24-2005, 06:27 PM
King of Pigskin Knowledge

I have some stats with the Flowmaster vs a cutout on my old IROC, other than that, nothing. Except that the Hooker on my LS1 sounds MUCH better than the Flowmaster on my IROC did.

Here's what the IROC ran with the 3" Flowmaster catback: 12.39 @ 109.5. Then NOTHING else done except a 3" cutout put in the y-pipe and opened up: 12.17 @ 111.93 MPH. That's a solid 25 HP gain. I've seen people only gain 5-10 rwhp with cutouts vs the Hooker and similar flowing exhausts.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

My personal opinion is that y-pipes on LS1 motors are inherently raspy. Any straight-through (no baffling) muffler that goes on an LS1 with y-pipe is going to sound nasty. There was a time when I first got my car that I wanted loud and nasty, so I just got a loudmouth. It was loud and very nasty, but thankfully i grew out of that phase. I would be too embarassed to rev it up with that setup. So when I went to longtubes, I threw the loudmouth away and got a magnaflow. Now I've gone back to manifolds and am even happier with the magnaflow than before.

If you want loud and nasty, get a straight through (bullet style) muffler on a y-pipe
If you want louder than stock, but more refined get any of the 'normal' style catbacks
If you want it to be loud and still sound fairly pleasant, get bullet true duals
If you want it to be deep, mellow, smooth and just plain sweet, get real muffler duals out the back.
If you really care about HP, forget about a catback and get duals.

ohh... and www.ls1sounds.com
Old 07-24-2005, 08:33 PM
TECH Resident

don't go with flowmaster, get something that actually makes me people notice that your not stock. it's just a muffler. the sound is good, but performance gain is not. go with LT's, ORY or ORX. with the Y i'd go magnaflow or hooker, and with the X just get sweet thunder mufflers. u wont regret it.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:40 PM
Teching In

Loud Mouth personally rubs me the wrong way. Borla, Bassani, and Corsa are good ones. Borla with headers sounds 10 times better than any flowmaster.