Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? for Kooks headers and Y owners.

Old 07-17-2005, 09:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ? for Kooks headers and Y owners.

If I understand correctly, they have the best ground clearance on their Y pipe. How is the clearance compared to stock? I'm not referring to the headers but the Y pipe. I understand the pipe is somewhat flattened. Did you lose any ground clearance, if so how much? Did you retain the same amount of clearance or gain some? Did the lowest point of the Kooks y change in relation to the rear or front of the car compared the stock y? I high center the stocker coming into my garage. I barely make it in but want these headers.

Last edited by joblo1978; 07-17-2005 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:27 PM
TECH Resident

The y hangs a little lower than stock, but not much. If you go catless, it'll help with ground clearance. The reason the y has such good clearance is BECAUSE of the headers. The collectors are tucked up real nice compared to other headers out there.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:11 PM
Banned

Thanks for that input dude but maybe I should explain my situation better so I can get some answers.

Here's a pic of my mountain of a driveway. I was standing on the sidewalk when I took this.

Here's a pic showing what I had to do to even get into the driveway with a prokit.

That's two 3/4" pieces of ply screwed together for a total of 1.5" inches. Before that, there's no way I could get into the driveway without ripping the exhaust off. It scraped a little with the Prokit, but I have Ground Control now, jacked it up a bit and can get in without scraping. I still need the plywood though.

Here's a pic of my stock y clearance.

Just to the right of the beer can along the bend it would scrape. Not only because it's the lowest part of the pipe but it's also closer to the center of the car where it would "high center" if you guys know what I mean. I know the 265 35's a hurting me a bit, not much sidewall and I plan to go to 275 35's and 285 35's which will give me almost 1/4 of an inch of sidewall thus raising the whole car. Does my y pipe hang unusually low or something maybe? With the Kooks y will the lowest part of the Y be more towards the front or the back? Will I still have these problems getting into my driveway with Kooks? Also I still have all the questions in my initial post. Thanks alot!

Last edited by joblo1978; 07-17-2005 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:24 PM
Launching!

Bump to let ya know I think you linked the wrong pics.

JasonG
Old 07-17-2005, 11:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JasonG
Bump to let ya know I think you linked the wrong pics.

JasonG
How the hell did that happen? Oh well, it's fixed.

People say this header and that header, this y and that y clear better than others and this and that. Having distance from the ground is important yes, but the further the away from the tires and toward the center of the wheel base it's even more important because you have to straddle things perpindicular to the wheels.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:11 PM
Banned

In this pic here, whoevers this is, thanks, it looks like the Kooks y isn't any lower than the SFC at any point along side the whole SFC.

Not really sure though because of the angle. It also looks like that bend might be closer to the front of the car also.

Here's another one too. It looks like I would have way more ground clearance that I do now with the Kooks setup. Possibly even be able to go lower than I am now.

A side shot of the y pipe from the side on a Trans Am with BMR boxed SFC's would kick ***.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:01 AM
Launching!

I just installed mine on friday and my Y pipe tucks right up in there, and actually I think it might even be a little higher than my stock Y pipe. Before they were installed, you could really see my stock Y pipe hangin down there, now you can barely see my Kooks Y. Fitment is great.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice! the beer can is now my official unit of measurement... all measurements in my car will now be converted to BCUs (beer can units)
Old 07-18-2005, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for what is worth. Ive only scrapped twice and both time were going over the same speed bump with the same fat *** friend in the passenger seat.

Needless to say that friend is obligate to exit the vehicle when goin over this particular speed bump. No problem going over it with him out of the car
Old 07-18-2005, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Man I'll trade you driveways. Mine is real bad. I'll take a pic and show you. I don't scrape my stock Y so I figure I won't scrape my new one. Of course I take my driveway at a really sharp angle.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Resident

i have kooks headers and y-pipe (catless) and i gained an inch or more ground clearance...02 sims put on of course.

best damn headers that i know of...hooker i think have a similar design. I just liked Kooks....i have had no problems even over speedbumps
Old 07-18-2005, 06:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
Man I'll trade you driveways. Mine is real bad. I'll take a pic and show you. I don't scrape my stock Y so I figure I won't scrape my new one. Of course I take my driveway at a really sharp angle.

I have to take it at a steep angle coming in or else the front and tailpipes will scrape. I can't take the peak of the driveway at an angle coming into the garage though. It's a small garage and barely fits two. When I'm coming up the driveway, I really can't even see where I'm going at all, plus I have an m6. If I stop on the hill, I smell burnt clutch once I'm in.

I think I'll be good with Kooks (catted) so that's the route I'll go. Thanks guys.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I thought my SLP LTs had everthing beat hands down for hanging low, but your pretty close to me with thos pipes: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/352646-pics-slp-lts-cats-loudmouth.html
Old 07-18-2005, 06:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i installed a set of kooks on a friends car and they tucked up great. so good i had to do the heater hose mod to keep the ypipe from hitting the floorboard
Old 07-18-2005, 07:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FUN LS1
I thought my SLP LTs had everthing beat hands down for hanging low, but your pretty close to me with thos pipes: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352646

Are you saying that my stock y is lower than your SLP? I'm also lowered though.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

no problems here.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
no problems here.

Yea but, do you have to deal with what I have to?
Old 07-18-2005, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joblo1978
Are you saying that my stock y is lower than your SLP? I'm also lowered though.
Not lower, just about the same, give or take an inch. I always tell people if their going lowered, then pick somehting besides SLP LTs. One thing I like, they never hit the bottom of the car. I've never heard the headers hit anything, car or speed bump, but I'm always expecting to...
Old 07-19-2005, 01:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by FUN LS1
Not lower, just about the same, give or take an inch. I always tell people if their going lowered, then pick somehting besides SLP LTs. One thing I like, they never hit the bottom of the car. I've never heard the headers hit anything, car or speed bump, but I'm always expecting to...

Give in inch is alot if you have to drive over the insane terrain that I do with my car as low as it is.

I wish I could get some measurements.

Search this Thread