Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air bleed screw on thermostat housing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 12:58 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Air bleed screw on thermostat housing?

I'm going to change the engine coolant in my '02 Z28 and thought I would check the GM service manual for the proper procedure. In steps 4 and 11 it makes reference to an air bleed screw on the thermostat housing. I've looked, and don't know what they're talking about. Do any of you guys know where this screw is? I can further explain the procedure if need be.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 07-18-2005, 01:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

There's no air bleed screws on an LS1 Camaro. You sure you're looking at the right year? LT1 cars had them, but LS1's don't.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:20 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Brains
There's no air bleed screws on an LS1 Camaro. You sure you're looking at the right year? LT1 cars had them, but LS1's don't.
Yeah, my manual is specific to 2002 Camaro's and Firebird's. It only covers the 5.7L LS1 and 3.8L L36. I guess they carried the procedure over from the LT1 and forgot to edit out that part.

Do you recommend I just skip over those steps that pertain to the air bleed screw and follow the rest of the procedure as it is - basically remove the radiator pressure cap, drain the radiator from the drain ****, close the drain ****, fill the radiator with coolant, allow the engine to idle to operating temperature, top off the radiator, and re-install the cap? Or is there a better procedure for doing this now?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 07-18-2005, 07:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

That's pretty much it. Treat it like any other car I usually run it up to operating temp with the cap off, let it cool and top off. Seem to get more coolant in there the first time that way.

Quick Reply: Air bleed screw on thermostat housing?