Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MTI Lid install issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MTI Lid install issue

Well, i finally got my MTI Clear lid went to go put it in and the MAF hits the plastic piece underneath it.

I cant get the tabs to slide in and would break it if i applied pressure.

Is there somthihng im missing????

Ive designed injection molded parts and must say that this is such a cheap component... No wonder why the aftermarket ones dont fit like stock... they didnt design it well. Ive hit tolerances of less than a thousanth of an inch... they are looking to hit 1/8"..

P.S. Yes, i did a search and found another person with the same problem.. but it was never answered.

Last edited by DanO; 07-20-2005 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:20 AM
Teching In

I just got my MTI clear lid also and had the same problem,I had to push down pretty hard to get the tabs in but they didnt break,it was a pita but I got it to work and it seals really well.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

i always say u cant beat OEM tolerances *shrugs*
Old 07-21-2005, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had the same problem. I ended up trimming the plastic under where the lid hits so it could slide right on, fits perfectly now. I also had to trim the bellows, which was undocumented on their site as well.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have the same lid, but I didn't get the smooth bellow and mine fit great, no problems.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have this lid w/ a smooth bellows and a tnt power ring.. good luck.. i couldnt use the smooth bellows, and I had to cut the crap out of the lid, and the black peice that the MAF hits, and muscle the **** out of it and it still broke. so now I just have a mangled freggin lid no there, oh well.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LETZ RUN
i have this lid w/ a smooth bellows and a tnt power ring.. good luck.. i couldnt use the smooth bellows, and I had to cut the crap out of the lid, and the black peice that the MAF hits, and muscle the **** out of it and it still broke. so now I just have a mangled freggin lid no there, oh well.

i almost went with a mti lid then decided different when there was an article in gm hitech performance testing all the lids, the mti lid put out good numbers but the quality wasn't there. so i went with slp, just as good dyno #'s, better quality, and better fitment.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well.. i called MTI and they are willing to help.. We shall see

Last edited by DanO; 07-21-2005 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:16 AM
Teching In

Did mine today. MTI clear lid and smooth bellows. Since I was doing it, I also did the FRA. Most of my issues came with the bellows. I had to trim it twice because it was too long. But now it is a tight fit all around, clamp went down easy.

BTW, I had to apply some downward pressure and slide the lid on.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

It took quite a bit of pressure to get mine to fit at first, but no other problems.
Seals great too!
Old 07-25-2005, 02:41 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my first mti clear lid broke and they replaced it under warranty. the problem was just as the one you described, i ended up cutting a piece away from the plastic so that the MAF could ride lower and the lid would fit better. it fit really well untill i installed the fernco bellow, which threw the whole thing off again.

if i did not have poly motor mounts, i would NOT run the fernco, especially with the POS clear lid like i have.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:40 PM
Teching In

i had the same problem with my MTI lid but i found out is was the rubber around the air filter that wouldnt let the tabs slip in the holes. so i just trimmed some rubber around the air filter and it fit.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Threw the bellow away. Went to home depot. Bought a 4 inch piece of smooth rubber pipeing. Got bigger clamps for clearence. Came back took about 5 minutes to slap it on correctly. Put the rubber home made $.49 bellow Home depot special on. Done and done. fits perfect everytime and all the time.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a similar problem. I ended up breaking a tab because I didn't seat it all the way. MTI where gracious and replaced the lid. I'm glad they do stand behind their products and I will recomend their products for such reason. The second lid I got from them it took a bit of force to get it in but the lid is absolutely air tight. I too have a SLP smooth bellow I just think the main problem is not the fitment on the lid but the combination Lid with SLP Smooth Bellow. The lid has been in the car for about a year know and it is working great and looks great. Also it made good power on my car. check signature.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:06 PM
12 Second Club

Do any of you guys run the FTRA with the seal wiht an MTI lid, I need a new lid and my FTRA seal doesnt fit with my current whisper lid.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by black_z
Do any of you guys run the FTRA with the seal wiht an MTI lid, I need a new lid and my FTRA seal doesnt fit with my current whisper lid.
I don't even have a seal.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had to trim my bellows on the throttle body side, but i was ok on the MAF side. make sure you leave the hose clamps loose until you get it all slid in cuz you migth not have everything pushed on as far as it needs to go.