Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

strange noise from a/c

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 01:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange noise from a/c

recently when i turn the a/c on my 2000 ss, it makes a high pitched whining noise which goes up and down with motor rpm.
the ac belt and also the serpentine belt where replaced this morning. >no change< then i pulled it up on the ramps and grabbed a can of wd-40 and started spraying pulleys, belts, tensioners etc to locate the noise. i thoughly soaked the ac clutch by shooting a whole can through the multiple holes on the face of the ac clutch and let it soak for a couple hours. >no change< the strange thing is that when i spray the ribbed surface of the new belt with wd-40 while the car is running with the a/c on the whining noise goes away for a minute or 2 then slowly return. my neighbors think i installed a supercharger or turbo (literally what it sounds like). if it where bearings going out in the compressor, why would spraying the belt make it subside? any ideas?
Old 07-23-2005, 09:08 PM
wrencher

Does the belt slip on the compressor when you douse it w/ WD?
Sure sounds like you have a compressor that is going bad. They can make lots of noise when going south. Kinda common occurance.
I would stop running it & get it fixed. If the compressor is coming apart, it is sending metal debris into the system. Thats what flushing the A/C system is for to get that debris out. It gets most of it, depending on what kind of flush system, the method & the operator thoughness. But depending upon how bad the compressor failure was & the amount of debris spewn into the system. It can come into the replacemnt piece & damage it.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

It could be the type of belt that you used. Ive seen belts that dont have the continous ribs squeal on vehicles. Hope you compressor will be ok if you sprayed that much wd40 in the clutch area.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:48 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by courtaney
recently when i turn the a/c on my 2000 ss, it makes a high pitched whining noise which goes up and down with motor rpm.
the ac belt and also the serpentine belt where replaced this morning. >no change< then i pulled it up on the ramps and grabbed a can of wd-40 and started spraying pulleys, belts, tensioners etc to locate the noise. i thoughly soaked the ac clutch by shooting a whole can through the multiple holes on the face of the ac clutch and let it soak for a couple hours. >no change< the strange thing is that when i spray the ribbed surface of the new belt with wd-40 while the car is running with the a/c on the whining noise goes away for a minute or 2 then slowly return. my neighbors think i installed a supercharger or turbo (literally what it sounds like). if it where bearings going out in the compressor, why would spraying the belt make it subside? any ideas?
I had the same whining noise coming from my belt. It sounds like a supercharger whine, but lower in volume. I changed the accesories belt and ac belt along with the tentioner(it had a lot of play), and the idler puller(when you turned it, it snagged a little). That fixed the whine.