Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rattling cat

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Question rattling cat

My one high flow carsound cat has had the packing around the honeycomb material blow off. As a result, the honeycomb material is now rattling around as a whole inside the converter. I was wondering if I could compress the converter body in a little just so that it keeps the honeycomb from rattling inside.

Do you think this approach would work or am I wasting my time? This is my third cat that this has happened to from bottoming out and then the packing material blows out.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This might not help you any man haha, but this is what happened to me.
My passenger side cat did the same thing, piece broke off and rattled for awhile on the stock cats....didnt think much of it...about 3 months later I decided to gut the cats and put a pipe through them....did the drivers side fine and put it back on...cut the passenger side cat off and looked in it...it was completely cleaned out..better than i could ever clean one...all my honeycomb material had broken up and went back, hung up in my magnaflow, and ended up causing me to get a new muffler right after that...I would change it out..
Old 07-25-2005, 12:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

carsound cats suck, mine blew out 2weeks after install. i just gutted them, so i could be done with it
Old 07-25-2005, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

Doesnt gutting them out decrease backpresure enormously?
Old 07-25-2005, 12:19 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Phoenixta99
Doesnt gutting them out decrease backpresure enormously?
Never heard of that before, increased mine somewhat. Lots of poppin and cracklin.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NightRider_13
Never heard of that before, increased mine somewhat. Lots of poppin and cracklin.
also whats the diff. beteween a gutted cat and a staight pipe? the g/c will flow worse cause of turbulence. which means more back pressuse
Old 07-25-2005, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea, change the cat at least...mine did the same thing, covered under warranty from carsound...then i got headers and ory...better than all that ****
Old 07-25-2005, 01:33 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by co.6z28
also whats the diff. beteween a gutted cat and a staight pipe? the g/c will flow worse cause of turbulence. which means more back pressuse
right haha, but i live in virgina...damn laws....so i had to make it at least look like the stock cats were still there...so i cleaned them out and put a straight pipe through them and welded it back shut...works just like straight pipes..