Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help... my battery hit the A/C bracket

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help... my battery hit the A/C bracket

I posted a similar post in the maintenance section, but I havn't gotten any real suggestions. This morning on my way to work when I took off from a stoplight I had a power surge. It only lasted mabye a couple seconds but when it stopped I quickly noticed my A/C had quit blowing cold. I pulled over and popped the hood and noticed that the battery is not tight and it rocked back and the positive poll hit the A/C canister. My check engine light was already on because of the A.I.R. so I dont know if another code was set. During my lunch break I reset my computer by pulling the fuses and swapped my fog light relay with the compressor relay. After all that my compressor still is not kicking on. Does this mean that I fried the compressor or this there something else I need to check? The news said the temp in Houston is supposed to get to 96 with a "feels like" temp of 106 so I really need my A/C to work. What have I forgot to check?

Chris
Old 07-25-2005, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know the answer, but I'd think a fuse/sensor would blow before frying the compresssor. In addition to the comp relay there's a couple fuses - HVAC inside the car (see if the rear defogger switch works), and A/C CRUISE under the hood (a/c compressor relay, cruise control switches). Hope it's something simple.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

Thats what Im hoping... I will look at all the fuses when I get home (I cant do much at work). I know its not the cruise fuse because I checked that when I drove to work this morning. I have never heard of this happening to anyone else. I have heard of the battery rocking back and hitting the A/C bracket but I have never read another post were it caused someone's A/C to go out. I guess Im just lucky

Thanks
Chris
Old 07-25-2005, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

Is there anything else I should check?
Old 07-25-2005, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was tightening my battery cables today with a ratchet, and actually tapped my A/C bracket with it while still touching the positive side. It sparked, but I don't think it did anything. I never use my A/C anyway, and it was over 90 here today. I would rather pop the tops out and ride.