Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

flowtech header impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 11:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flowtech header impressions

Just thought I'd post for anyone looking at these headers. I wanted the cheapest headers because I just don't want to put tons of money into my car, so I purchased the flowtechs uncoated for 230 bucks and 99 bucks for the Y pipe. I am very satisfied with the headers, the welds weren't to bad-some were a little mess on the inside but overall not bad considering the price of the headers. The passenger header slipped right in without any trouble. The driver side I tried slidding in but wouldn't make it past the steering linkage, so it was pulled and then they slide right up. I had the tires 8.5 inches off the ground-I figured I would have needed more but not so. they tuck up very nicely as well. The bolts and plugs were very easy to install as well-even with my limited tool set. What I realy like about these headers is all the extras they come with-bolts, gaskets, block off for EGR plus gasket for it and AIR, nice o2 extenders and even came with 3 inch collector reducers (although they don't really reduce since the header collectors are 3 inch) To purchase these seperate would cost at least 20 bucks, and the o2 extenders are even more if purchased seperately. I checked the headers with a straight edge just to make sure they wouldn't leak and they were fine. My only beef was with the Y pipe, it was constructed nicely-the welds were very nice, the hole they cut on the inside where it Y's was only 2.5 inches, so I made it bigger, but the real problem was the fact it was to narrow, it wouldn't fit the headers. It was 2 inches off, which is pretty bad. I was pretty pissed to say the least. I called to talk with them and left a message, but never talked with them because I figured they'd send me out a new and take another week before I could get the car running. I instead took my stock car jack and put it between the trans brace and pipe and streched it out until it fit without having to use the jack, now its the way it should be. If I could do it over I would have just made my own, and it bangs underneath. I still plan to call and make a complaint, because that Y was way off-unless it was the headers? I guess thats the risk you pay for cheap performance. Overall I am happy with them, the extra power is actually very impressive, it really starts to spin the tires at half throttle once it hits around 3500 rpm and torques the car harder than I like(time for some SFC's).
Old 07-31-2005, 02:27 PM
Banned

I have them on my car. I didnt get there y pipe. I run duals. And the gaskets I wouldnt trust. I would reuse the factory ones first. But they do work great.
Old 07-31-2005, 04:17 PM
11 Second Club

I like my Coated Flowtechs as well, but like said above you should reuse or get new factory header gaskets. I had to replace one of the paper header gaskets within two weeks of the install. But besides that they gave me 25hp&tq at the wheels so they so I cant complain too much.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:37 PM
Launching!

yeah I did't use the paper gaskets, just reused the stockers, even though they are pretty wasted-they were all seperated, I still used them, when I get the money I will buy some new Gm replacements as the old ones were falling apart, I'll wait and see how long those things last before they start leaking. I don't know why they mount the 02 bungies on the outside of the collector instead of on the inside, seems like more hassle to keep them from burning on the headers if they fall down.