Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arcing Spark Plug Wires...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 04:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Arcing Spark Plug Wires...

I was just wondering if this is anything to worry about... I finished up my valve springs install the other day and let the car warm up the break them in. The headers were smoking bad from the oil I got on them, so I was shining a light on them to watch the smoke. While I was watching I saw a spark jump from the spark plug wire to the header, they are about 1/2" apart. This was on the #5 cylinder. I turned off the light and watched for about another minute and didn't see anything. The spark plug wire on the #3 cylinder is closer to the header, maybe 1/4" and it wasn't arcing.

The spark plug wires are 10.4mm Taylor Thundervolts with about 600 miles, spark plugs are NGK TR-6 with same mileage.

Is this anything to worry about? I imagine it happens every now and then and I probably shouldn't be concerned. Thanks!
Old 07-31-2005, 04:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats odd for such low milage. evidently that particular wire has hairline splits in it. I would replace it and check the others really well. You can use a spray bottle of water as well.

Quick Reply: Arcing Spark Plug Wires...