Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lots of problems. Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 02:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lots of problems. Please help.

So many things have started to go wrong with my poor car. 2000 Z28 M6

1. I was washing it the other day and got a very damp rag and wiped the dust off of the air lid. Since then my car idles at 1500 RPMs with the A/C running. Also, when the A/C is running while in reverse, the engine pushes out too much power so I have to brake to keep it steady. Whenever I turn the A/C off it idles normally when I shift into neutral.

2. My window won't roll down. This happened just this morning. I tried to roll it down and it made a loud noise. The window is stuck. I worked it back up to be close. It took me awhile. I don't know what's going on there.

3. My front-right speaker is picking up noise from the engine and emits a loud tone as I drive. It does not get louder as I turn the volume up, though. I think this might be from an unprotected wire.

4. Not really a problem, but I am going to put it in here anyway to make myself look worse. My struts are blown and my suspension in the rear squeaks.. I am getting that replaced this weekend.

Any answers or help to these problems would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

1) Were you cleaning the inside of the lid or the outside? If you were cleaning the inside, you might have gotten some of the maf wires wet, which could cause some problems. Try drying it out, but do not touch the wires.

2) Your window motor is on it's way out, it's a common problem in our cars. Do a search for a window motor replacement, it's actually pretty easy.

3) No idea.

4) For the rear suspension squeeking, you can put some grease on the rear sway bar bushings (ones on the axle tubes). This fixed my squeeking rear suspension problems.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

Agreed with the window motor, install takes about an hour and is relatively easy. Don't pay someone to do rear shocks, they are so simple, I did mine today. You take out 2 bolts and they just fall off.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:03 PM
TECH Regular

I didn't explain in too well. The window is VERY loose on the door. The outside of the window doesn't touch the rubber sealing. Also, I took the air filter out from under the lid and cleaned under there. Could some small particles of water done so much?

The motor is working fine. I was messing around with it today and I had to shake the window back and forth so it would align straight enough to roll up and down. I don't understand how it could randomly come off track, but I guess it happened.

I had an accident where I lost control and banged up my wheels and suspension against curbs several times. It managed to bend all 4 of my rims. It actually cracked off a piece of one rim. It also bent the rear-right axle which I replaced. I got new SS wheels as well. Yeah, the reason it is squeaking is because it is simply being held up by the springs. The shocks are definitely blown.

Thanks for all of the help so far.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:38 PM
TECH Resident

Take off the door panel and there will be 2 clips that you can loosen and slide over towards the window more so it will be pushed out farther. The windows coming loose like that are another common thing. If water got in the window motor may be on its way out though.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by adillhoff
I didn't explain in too well. The window is VERY loose on the door. The outside of the window doesn't touch the rubber sealing. Also, I took the air filter out from under the lid and cleaned under there. Could some small particles of water done so much?
Yep, you very well could have gotten the wires wet or touched them with the rag. Take off your MAF and let it dry and visually inspect to to see if there is any debris on it (piece of fiber from the rag). Do you still have the honey comb screen on it or was it taken off?
Old 08-20-2005, 11:46 AM
TECH Regular

I left the screen on because if I take it off it will mess with my computer. I took most of the induction apart and let it dry for about an hour. I started it back up and it is driving smoothly again. Thanks for the help.

I got the speaker fixed, too. I turns out the ground for the front-right speaker was showing. I covered it up and it's no longer making any noise.

I haven't checked out the door yet. I will probably do that today. Thank you everyone for the help. You've been great. I'll let you know how the window turns out.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:19 PM
12 Second Club

is it possible you accidentally disconnected your MAF or air temp sensor in the lid when you were cleaning?
Old 08-22-2005, 03:42 PM
TECH Regular

I might of.. I am going to take the door panel off today and mess around with the window.. I hope nothing gets too messed up.. lol
Old 08-22-2005, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

be sure u connected the iat sensor back to the airlid
Old 08-22-2005, 06:03 PM
TECH Regular

All of the connections are fine. It isn't idling high anymore. I guess whatever moisture that was in there is now dried out. I took the door panel off today and took a look at the window. It goes a lot deeper than the two pieces I can slide. I am taking it up under warranty tomorrow. I'd rather them deal with it. Other than that everything is fixed up.

Thank you everyone that helped out. I have a question about my 1/8 times, but I am going to post that in a different question.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:27 PM
TECH Regular

Well I took it into the shop and my suspicions were confirmed. Two O2 sensors are out, the fuel filter is messed up. And one of the fuel injectors is messed up. He also reported that I must have been driving the car hard. There is a loose seal in the transmission. So. She is going to be fixed up good. Thanks again!