Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ur upinion

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 05:21 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ur upinion

i have a 98 z28 n i was thinkin on gettin the f.a.s.t. lsx 90mm intake with the 90mm throttle body.. hooker longtube competition ceramic coated headers, corsa exhuast, and the slp maf to go with the smooth bellow n slp aribox lid i already have.. i need some opinions on this combo cause i know certain parts dont work good together.. thanks
Old 08-22-2005, 05:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

... alot of search material on this combo lately. If you had a LS6 intake and ported TB, it wouldn't be worth the extra money spent, with your mods. Since you appear to still have a LS1 intake and stock TB, it would be money well-spent on your '98 if you plan on bigger cube/heads/cam later ... IMHO.

Most of the gains seem to be seen with 383 and larger cubes. For the cost, I would do a ported TB and LS6 intake ... spend the other $800-$900 dollars on something else ... just my opinion.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
... alot of search material on this combo lately. If you had a LS6 intake and ported TB, it wouldn't be worth the extra money spent, with your mods. Since you appear to still have a LS1 intake and stock TB, it would be money well-spent on your '98 if you plan on bigger cube/heads/cam later ... IMHO.

Most of the gains seem to be seen with 383 and larger cubes. For the cost, I would do a ported TB and LS6 intake ... spend the other $800-$900 dollars on something else ... just my opinion.

dejavu...

JEB is right. One other note, to save you the search, don't mess with your MAF. The gains, if any, seem to be hit or miss from car to car. If you miss, it's really not worth it at all.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:45 PM
Launching!

thats what ive been hearin.. to not mess with the MAF.. i read a tech book , they said for a free mod to take the screen out of it.. whats ur guys opinion on that?.. and whats a good company to go with for heads?... i was thinkin of goin with AFR heads.. so jus go with the ls6 intake and port the throttle body.. i read that with the ls1 throttle body the flap doesnt open all the way..
Old 08-22-2005, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Def. do not get the SLP MAF. It's a great "look good" mod, but it'll cause you major headaches if you ever try and get a tune. If you want to make the MAF look better, just polish the stock one.

The other mods sound good though. I'd get the LS6 intake too though. You don't see a huge difference between ls6 and fast till you get major mods done.

The corsa catback would be good too if your going to get an ORY. I bet that'd sound really good. FYI: I have a borla with the open plate and cats (cause I need them for emissions) and it sounds great.

With the smooth bellow, you can get that SLP one, which would be great, but if you want to save your self about 40dollars you can go to Home Depot and get some Fernco in the plumbing dept. and get a piece of 3inch by 3inch and u'd be set.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jblazy18
i have a 98 z28 n i was thinkin on gettin the f.a.s.t. lsx 90mm intake with the 90mm throttle body.. hooker longtube competition ceramic coated headers, corsa exhaust, and the slp maf to go with the smooth bellow n slp aribox lid i already have.. i need some opinions on this combo cause i know certain parts dont work good together.. thanks
Leave the MAF alone. You can de-screen it, but that's as far as I would go.

The LSX setup is overkill on a 346 until you have a nice heads/cam setup. I would just step up to an LS6 intake and ported stock throttle body unless you do plan on modifying the engine later.

Hooker headers are fine. I'm not a fan of the Corsa, but I'm sure you have/can search and read plenty of feedback on different exhausts and make up your own mind.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:47 PM
TECH Junkie

personally, i wouldn't even descreen the MAF - that's just me.

Gains from modding the MAF seem to be pretty hit or miss.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
personally, i wouldn't even descreen the MAF - that's just me.

Gains from modding the MAF seem to be pretty hit or miss.
As a noob I read enough crap about the MAF's it scared me and I havn't touched mine yet, not even to de-screen it.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
As a noob I read enough crap about the MAF's it scared me and I havn't touched mine yet, not even to de-screen it.

I didn't have a choice. My bird had a descreened-ported-ends MAF on it when I bought it. I replaced it with an OEM 85mm unit and spent months tuning it. I finaly pulled it out and replaced it with this.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Leave the MAF alone. You can de-screen it, but that's as far as I would go.

... and only FAST 90/90 if you go bigger cube and above 550 RWHP ... albeit NA or forced induction.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:11 AM
Launching!

well i do plan on getting a vortech supercharger with the intercooler im bidding on ebay n it looks like im gunna get it.. but im gunna take ur's guys advice n jus stick with the ls6 intake n ported throttle body n MAF cause itll save me **** tons of money.. what kinda heads would u guys recommend? or jus stick with stock cause i was lookin at the AFR heads.. btw how does the ls6 intake do with a NOS system?.. again thanks for the advice
Old 08-23-2005, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Going to be putting on both a supercharger and a nitrous kit? Better build a forged engine & drivetrain first

But as for nitrous, the LS1/LS6 intakes don't like wet shots very well. They like to bubble and puddle from what I understand. I would say if you're going anything under a 150 shot, go dry
Old 08-23-2005, 08:21 AM
11 Second Club

You are getting ahead of yourself. Focus on getting the FI up and going (search the FI section before starting this!!) and bulletproofing your drivetrain before you do anything else.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:33 PM
Launching!

what do u mean by bulletproofing my drivetrain.. im still learnin.. when it comes to the lifts of the cams n what i need i have no clue.. but tryin to learn.. n the crankshaft.. do i even need to mess with that?.. what would b a recommended setup for havin a vortech supercharger w/ intercooler n a dry Nos 150 shot system.. which i dont plan on using very much at if at all.. i dont want somethin gragstrip.. but somethin i can go cruisin with but still b able to make a difference.. btw blkz28spt did those ground effects come on the camaro or did u buy them after? sweet ride
Old 08-23-2005, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

my maf is descreened and works fine.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jblazy18
what do u mean by bulletproofing my drivetrain.. im still learnin.. when it comes to the lifts of the cams n what i need i have no clue.. but tryin to learn.. n the crankshaft.. do i even need to mess with that?.. what would b a recommended setup for havin a vortech supercharger w/ intercooler n a dry Nos 150 shot system.. which i dont plan on using very much at if at all.. i dont want somethin gragstrip.. but somethin i can go cruisin with but still b able to make a difference.. btw blkz28spt did those ground effects come on the camaro or did u buy them after? sweet ride
Read the stickies in the new enthusiasts, external, forced induction, nitrous oxide and internal forums.

Read them multiples times if it helps, then search. Search can teach you an AWFUL lot, and the FI forum is really the only place to get good, reliable advice in that area. You are a LONG ways from putting a vortech s/c and 150 shot of nitrous on your car. (just to start you off, it's generally agreed upon that ~6 psi is all you want to boost on a stock motor, and anything over 8psi or adding other power producing mods will require forged internals) That being said you might be amazed at how fast you can go with a proper setup and "only" 6-7 psi. Getting a basic grasp of all that is going on will require a good bit of reading but you will hopefully learn just about everything you want to know and much more that you wouldn't have thought of otherwise. At the very least you will be able to ask much more informed questions at that point.

Yes, the ground effects came on the car. It's a relatively uncommon sport package that basically just gives the ground effects and can be had on a Z28. Without the badges people sometimes assume it's an RS, if it's not a situation where they hear it.