Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What ORY for my SS

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 05:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What ORY for my SS

I want my car to be louder and I was planning on getting a ORY, but which one? Do they all sound the same? Will I need to buy o2 sims if I get a ORY?
Old 08-22-2005, 06:08 PM
TECH Junkie

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139142

Lots of good stuff in the stickies
Old 08-22-2005, 06:09 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Are you planning on getting longtubes? If not I suggest that you wait until you buy the LT's. Just an ORY on stock manifolds will not do much for you performance wise. Yes, if you do go with an ORY you will need to get a pair of sims, or get the code deleted.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Lithium
Are you planning on getting longtubes? If not I suggest that you wait until you buy the LT's. Just an ORY on stock manifolds will not do much for you performance wise. Yes, if you do go with an ORY you will need to get a pair of sims, or get the code deleted.
I don't plan on getting LT's. I want to get an ORY for sound not really for performance. So what ORY should I go with?
Old 08-23-2005, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

im looking for the same thing im leaning torwards stainless works.. they have them for a resinable cost..
Old 08-23-2005, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

u wont really notice a difference in sound with just a ory. sound comes from mufflers and how much piping u have in your exhaust. also u dont have to get o2 sims, u can get bungs welded into the Y and use all 4 o2 sensors.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Somebody had a Stainless Works ORY (stock manifolds
type) up in the For Sale section yesterday....
Old 08-23-2005, 07:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JustAnIlluzion
u wont really notice a difference in sound with just a ory. sound comes from mufflers and how much piping u have in your exhaust. also u dont have to get o2 sims, u can get bungs welded into the Y and use all 4 o2 sensors.
you cant really have o2 sensors with no cats, isnt that what makes it an "offroad" y pipe? I would imagine the cats have more of an effect on sound, i have cutout and still have cats right now, and without running through the muffler the car sounds the same but louder. I'm sure an ory would change the exhaut not a little, although for loudness, a cutout would be more effective, especially for the price.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:05 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Originally Posted by BLwNo3COBRA
I don't plan on getting LT's. I want to get an ORY for sound not really for performance. So what ORY should I go with?
Maybe you should not go with an ory. I mean if performance is no big deal to you then maybe you should just get a catback. Catbacks like the loudmouth II or the TSP Rumbler. Those are both proven to sound good on stock manifold and cats. Personally I would not get an ory with stock manifolds, it could make it difficult to get a good sound out of your car. I have never heard a stock manifold and ory car before, so I cant say for sure if it will sound good. I dont know, its just an idea.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Lithium
Maybe you should not go with an ory. I mean if performance is no big deal to you then maybe you should just get a catback. Catbacks like the loudmouth II or the TSP Rumbler. Those are both proven to sound good on stock manifold and cats. Personally I would not get an ory with stock manifolds, it could make it difficult to get a good sound out of your car. I have never heard a stock manifold and ory car before, so I cant say for sure if it will sound good. I dont know, its just an idea.
well my current CB I have right now is the GMMG. I Love the way the GMMG sounds, but I want it louder. When you have a cut out its not going through the CB when its open right? If I'm right about that then I would just probably gut the cats so its still going through the CB
Old 08-24-2005, 11:41 AM
Launching!

well with stock manifolds it isn't actually an offroad y....i mean what constitutes an "offroad" y-pipe is the absence of catalytic converters in conjunction with some form of header isn't it?? with stock manifolds you still have cats......you would just be adding a larger diameter y-pipe which will not really effect the sound much if at all, you're exhaust will just flow a LITTLE bit better, my vote is for getting a catback.....i don't really know about the sounds of others but my Loudmouth through stock manifolds and y-pipe sounded great!!! Magnaflow seems to be the other popular catback around right now or you could always sell a kidney and get a GMMG chambered exhaust it is similar in sound to the LM just not as loud.....just some food for thought....
Old 08-24-2005, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

welll i just ordered an magnaflow cb and a stainless works ory and ill let yall know what is sounds like when i get it..
Old 08-24-2005, 06:17 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

I am interested as well to hear what it will sound like. Be sure to post a clip of it if possible. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:27 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JustAnIlluzion
Ok there seems to be a lot of junk floating around this thread. First, you cannot use all 4 o2 sensors with an ORY, reason being that the back set of o2 sensors are used to make sure that the cats are doing their job, using all four sensors would just trip an engine light saying that you need to replace your cats. (since there would still be some unburnt fuel and hazardous gases passing the sesors) So basically if you take the sensors out or put them back in you will have a check engine light.

Second have an ORY with stock manifolds will make the car a little louder. However if you get a set of long tubes there will be an auidible difference between an ORY and a catted Y. Most will say that you will get more rasp with an ORY, this depends on which catback you use. I have Pacesetter LT's, ORY and a Hooker catback and there is very little rasp. however when the cutout is open I can tell that there is a fair amount of rasp.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:03 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by slpss9723
well with stock manifolds it isn't actually an offroad y....i mean what constitutes an "offroad" y-pipe is the absence of catalytic converters in conjunction with some form of header isn't it?? with stock manifolds you still have cats......you would just be adding a larger diameter y-pipe which will not really effect the sound much if at all, you're exhaust will just flow a LITTLE bit better, my vote is for getting a catback.....i don't really know about the sounds of others but my Loudmouth through stock manifolds and y-pipe sounded great!!! Magnaflow seems to be the other popular catback around right now or you could always sell a kidney and get a GMMG chambered exhaust it is similar in sound to the LM just not as loud.....just some food for thought....

I have a ypipe on my car (came with it when i bought it), it has cats, but they are down low, not in the stock location, and they are on the ypipe, so i would think you can get an offroad y pipe for stock manifolds.