Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A-Pillar gauge install

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 05:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A-Pillar gauge install

The gauges and the pillar pod aren't the problem.

I am installing a mechanical water temp gauge along with a couple other gauges. AutoMeter doesn't give you much sender tube length with the gauge.

Where did you guys run the senders through the firewall?? Any pics?? Drill, or run it around by the computer?

Also, I understand AutoMeter's gauge won't fit our heads. Where can I get an adaptor?
What did you use for ground and power as well??
I did search, I just suck at searching.

Thanks!!!
Old 08-23-2005, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'm looking for the same info..lol. someone help us out.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:55 PM
Launching!

Dangit, I just saw some posts of this stuff the other day while I was searching some stuff. I believe the adapter needed was an M6x1.5 for the block location behind starter. I believe Summit had the adapters. I'm not really sure if they were using mech. sending units or elec. ones though. I too am contemplating an aftermarket temp gauge since mine seems to be stuck on 210 but really can't think of a good place to mount the gauge.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:59 PM
Launching!

Correction, that's M16x1.5
Old 08-23-2005, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by krexken
Dangit, I just saw some posts of this stuff the other day while I was searching some stuff. I believe the adapter needed was an M6x1.5 for the block location behind starter. I believe Summit had the adapters. I'm not really sure if they were using mech. sending units or elec. ones though. I too am contemplating an aftermarket temp gauge since mine seems to be stuck on 210 but really can't think of a good place to mount the gauge.
a piller or an ac vent...i wish i could mount mine in teh ac vent, but I have a camaro
Old 08-24-2005, 12:11 PM
11 Second Club

Anyone else??

I know you guys have gauges....where did you run the wires through the firewall??
Old 08-24-2005, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

find a grommet and poke a hole in it or take it out. theres the hood cable grommet but if that one doesnt seal good u will get water in the car. if u dont find anything other grommets, drill a hole and buy a grommet at napa for a few pennys. ground the gauges to any bare metal surface, however there are a few factory grounds, they will look like straps just attached to protuding bolts, those work fine. for power u can tap the radio power or the radios dim wire, so your gauges can dim along with your stock gauges and radio. this is also possible but tapping into the dimmer switch itself. if u dont care about them dimming and want them bright at all times, then just tap into the interior fuse panel. napa or walmart etc sell little metal prongs that make it easy, u slide it into a fuse spot (empty or used) and then slide the female wire end onto the prong, pretty much piggy back style. just make sure u pick a correct fuse to tap, u dont want your gauges lit when the car is off.