Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help with what mods to get

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 03:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with what mods to get

Alright i have a 1998 z28. the guy who i got it from ran it 13.1 over at Moroso. it has all freed mods done and i am guessing 4:10 gears (70mph 2100rpms) thats why. anyway. what shall i do for more horse. obviously an airlid. then comes the exhaust. there is no way im buying qtp and kooks even slp. i dont care what they claim ...for the price they are charging for a piece of metal is not gonna make me budge you would think it would be 24kt gold plated or something. but what are other good headers. the car has an offroad y-pipe no cats with a crappy american thunder muffler. i want a mean sounding car.. so what is the best mufflers to go with for sound and performance. Spintech? maganflow? i heard alot of bad stuff dealing with slp loudmouths. and what about a shift kit is trans go still one of the best? help would be appreciated.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

pacesetter coated headers
any lid
ls6 intake manifold
true dual exhaust will make it sound great
if u want to keep the ypipe, i would recommend a spintech muffer
is it auto? a stall would be a good mod also
Old 08-24-2005, 03:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JustAnIlluzion
pacesetter coated headers
any lid
ls6 intake manifold
true dual exhaust will make it sound great
if u want to keep the ypipe, i would recommend a spintech muffer
is it auto? a stall would be a good mod also

Ditto to all that. I am going to run true duals myself with bullets for awhile as well as Kooks 1 3/4 longtubes though. I don't want to worry about exhaust coating and rust. See how I like those. Then possibly switch to Magnaflows or possibly Borla XR1s. Heard those sound good and clean. I have the same setup as you basically and can't wait to get rid of it. I had 4.10s until last week when I went with 3.73s. 4.10s were awesome, but the 3.73s aren't that bad at all.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:43 PM
Launching!

as dumb of a quest this is..true dual exhaust in what sense? like what kind of pipes u guys gonna run? thanx for the input will make use of it.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:59 PM
TECH Junkie

you can dig up a lot of threads like these with the search button.

I would start with JRP's stickies ^^^ and go from there
Old 08-24-2005, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lid, ls6 intake, headers...and congrats on the purchase
Old 08-24-2005, 06:32 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I would wait on getting an LS6 intake, you will not pick up a lot of power with it now. wait until you get a cam then get an LS6. I would consentrate on doing some suspension work, or getting some sticky tires.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

True duals are what the word implies, real dual exhaust, not a fake dual setup with a Y pipe that is alot more restrictive. You have 3 choices for true duals, Lanes setup (www.lanesperformance.com), Texas Speed (www.texas-speed.com), or go with a universal kit from Summit or Jegs. Lane's setup comes fully welded as a bolt and go and tucks up very nice and has the famed Dr. Gas X pipe. Texas Speed's setup is adjustable so you'll have to monkey with it to get good ground clearance, but it comes with everything you need. The universal kit will likely need some tweaking done by an exhaust shop depending on what long tube header you buy.

Jason
Old 08-24-2005, 10:17 PM
Launching!

what kind of tires would be the best at this point the tires i have are still decent on tread and the car spins all the way through 1st and 1/2 way through 2nd gear. i dont want drag radials i was thinkin yokahomas the zrated ones or something soft like that. if i do drag radials i would probably get the bf goodrichs.