Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loudness Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 06:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loudness Problem

Apparently my car idling in a parking lot is too loud for the local cops here in CT so now I have to go to the DMV to get a loudness test and I think im in trouble. I mean I can see getting harrassed if I was revving up and being a jerk but I was just backing out of my spot after picking up my pizza. Oh well, I have Jet Hot long tube headers w/cats and an SLP Loudmouth. I cut the resonator out and put in a bullet muffler. I think its the addition of my TR230 cam that really got the cops attention with its mean idle. Anyways I need to pass this test so is there any tips any of you guys have on how to quiet her down for a day? Should I just gut the Loudmouth and put the stock back on for a day or add another bullet? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:44 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Your probley going to need to put the stock catback on. Its going to be a pain in the *** but you are going to need to get the car as quite as possible. Sorry to hear about all this as well, I would be pretty pissed.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are fine with the sound put the stock on for the test. You may also consider one of the car chemistry inserts. Just put it in the I pipe right after the Y and will quiet the exhaust considerably. Might be worth it to save the time of replacing the exhaust.

If you think it's too loud too, replace the loudmouth bullet with the dynomax, borla, spiral flow,etc.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Some cops are pathetic.

Nevermind the sex offenders that always seem to slip through the system. Its those damn loud idling car owners that we need to buckle down on.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Full-Force
Some cops are pathetic.

Nevermind the sex offenders that always seem to slip through the system. Its those damn loud idling car owners that we need to buckle down on.
That is so true

I would get one of those inserts and put it in. Then after the test take it out and do a big smokey burnout in front of the DMV
Old 08-28-2005, 04:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

i tohught the loudmouth system was inter-changable with the loudmout bullet 1 and bullet 2 resonators and the slp muffler wich shuld in my opinion quiet down the systen sufficiently
Old 08-28-2005, 06:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

After you get tested can you pm me some of the details, cost, etc... I drive around with my cutout open, at times. I'd like to know what I'm in for if I get pulled over.

Thanks, Jim
Old 08-28-2005, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys, i have 3 weeks to make a decision on this. I may go with the insert or another bullet, i dont wanna deal with the entire stock exhaust again. DD966 I will let you know as soon as i get to the DMV which may take me a little while since I have work all week.

The funniest part is this happenned in Bridgeport, CT where they have like 4 murders a day lately and the cop had the nerve to tell me it was a quiet neighborhood until i strolled in, what an *******!!
Old 08-28-2005, 03:51 PM
Staging Lane

where can i get this piece??

Originally Posted by DaddySS
If you are fine with the sound put the stock on for the test. You may also consider one of the car chemistry inserts. Just put it in the I pipe right after the Y and will quiet the exhaust considerably. Might be worth it to save the time of replacing the exhaust.

If you think it's too loud too, replace the loudmouth bullet with the dynomax, borla, spiral flow,etc.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

The LM 2 is still loud. It just doesn't drone as bad as the orginal from what I have heard. Plus he's got header's and a cam so that make's it even louder.
Originally Posted by old and good
i tohught the loudmouth system was inter-changable with the loudmout bullet 1 and bullet 2 resonators and the slp muffler wich shuld in my opinion quiet down the systen sufficiently
Old 08-28-2005, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FST02CETA
where can i get this piece??
I think Summit or Jegs would carry those.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:32 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Full-Force
Some cops are pathetic. Nevermind the sex offenders that always seem to slip through the system. Its those damn loud idling car owners that we need to buckle down on.
Gotta make you wonder - don't they have anything better to do? Then there are the guys who'll stop you and ask what you have in it, shoot the breeze about cars for awhile, tell you to be careful, and let you go.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:41 PM
On The Tree

Man do that sucks. I recently got my 98z running i'm from West Haven and i put a 04 Z06 motor in my car. I was running it in my yard and parking alot right next to me with just the headers luckly my neighbors are pretty cool. But i was testing my car making sure it was running great i got Pacesetters LT's and Borla Adjustable catback i didnt get Band claps for my exhaust so i couldnt put my y-pipe on. FST you know any places around here that sell band clamps i need 4 3-3 1/2 inch clamps.Gonna try B&B tomorrow. But you think i would have problems with car being too loud the motor is a pretty much stock 04 Z06 motor. I might put the block off plate on exhaust i really dont want to get tickets.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:54 AM
Launching!

How much power would be lost putting back on the original muffler?
Old 08-29-2005, 09:17 AM
TECH Veteran

The orignal muff would not cause you to loose a bunch of power ...maybe 8hp or less....

I put on LTs, cam, heads, and a hooker cat back.... I wish I had the stock muff now too -loud for me....
Old 08-29-2005, 10:16 AM
Launching!

Me too. I just had a cam, lt headers & pulley added to my setup. Its almost embarrassing.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:34 PM
12 Second Club

Will that insert kill power? How quite will they make the car? I am wanting to quite the car down a little, but not a whole lot. Should I just put a bullet muffler in the place of the lm "muffler".
Old 10-01-2005, 06:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by FST02CETA
Thanks guys, i have 3 weeks to make a decision on this. I may go with the insert or another bullet, i dont wanna deal with the entire stock exhaust again. DD966 I will let you know as soon as i get to the DMV which may take me a little while since I have work all week.

The funniest part is this happenned in Bridgeport, CT where they have like 4 murders a day lately and the cop had the nerve to tell me it was a quiet neighborhood until i strolled in, what an *******!!

HA, i used to go to school in bridgeport (university of bridgeport) and i'd have to say you are full of ****. first of all, there are 6 murders a day. the cop you got must be new because all those ******* dont give a ****. Its probably the poorest precinct in the country. And on top of that i went up to the station every day for 2 weeks to get a police report for the bitch that hit me when the cop only had nine days to produce one. I would have to cuss the reception lady out til they started paying attention. And i'm really not bullshitting. The best part though, because my school was private the cops got kinda upset when i would do donuts in all the parking lots on campus and they couldnt do **** but wait for security to call them. by then i was long gone.