Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pacesetter mid-tube vs MAC mid-tube headers.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default pacesetter mid-tube vs MAC mid-tube headers.

MAC has been the main company that I have seen in the past that makes the mid-tube/mid-length headers for the LS1...they allow for more gains than shorties, but better ground clearance and they are legal, which LT's are not. I've seen some Pacesetter MT headers for abou $300 and another $100 for the ceramic coating. Is this a better deal than the MAC's that are about $500-$550 with the coating? When I compared them however, their apperance is different?

Pacesetter MT

They sort of look like shorties...a little bigger but they have that downpipe. My car is a 99' also, so my current manifolds suck way worse than 00-02's manifolds...thus even shorties would help.

MAC MT Headers

Obviously, subtract the Y-Pipe. I sorta do want to stay street legal. An extra 5 hp from losing the cats isn't worth getting in big trouble, IMO. Anyhow, just looking for some opinions from you guys...maybe some of you have run these and got good or bad results...wanting to know before I buy this week. Thanks all!
Old 08-28-2005, 10:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pacesetters look more like shortiy headers Go with the MACS
Old 08-28-2005, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Unless your area does insane visual inspections...like CA, you should be fine with long tubes. You'll most likely only have to pass an OBDII test which is super easy with a tune.

I say pass on the shorties and just go long tubes.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

Pacesetter uses very deceptive wording to try and pass their shorty headers off as mid-length headers. They are shorty headers indeed. Notice they aren't called "mid-length" like the mac's, but instead are called "mid -tube." They are shorty headers, with piping that replaces a piece that goes from the passenger side header-to the cat. This mid-tube does hardly anything, and won't compare to having mid-length headers like the macs. Pacesetter is just using some creative wording to make you think someone FINALLY came out with a smog legal mid-length header, when in reality they are nothing but a shorty header and probably not even as good as the JBA's. This trickery they are using has lowered my opinion of them. Market a product and back it up, don't try and fool people into thinking they are getting something they aren't.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:21 AM
12 Second Club

Macs would be better than those Pacesetters. You and I both live in Texas and my car has longtubes on it and has passed with no problems. Plus my car is lowered
Old 08-29-2005, 02:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bad Blu Formula
Macs would be better than those Pacesetters. You and I both live in Texas and my car has longtubes on it and has passed with no problems. Plus my car is lowered

I think I am going to go with the LT's w/ ORY pipe. Did you do the O2 eliminators or did you get the LS1 edit done? Current from Texas Speed and Performance, Pacesetter LT's w/ emission hookups, along with the 3" Y-pipe and the O2 eliminators will cost me under $700...includes shipping and sales tax. Did your inspection place do a visual? Even though my inspection isn't up until Nov., I think I'll get it done next month...just so I have a full year without a problem...I plan to put on the LT's towards the end of next month. If you did the O2 elims...did you have to get the O2 Bung extensions? Thanks fellas.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:45 PM
Teching In

that is the same setup i have from texas speed. the y-pipe will not have o2 bungs, which is why you will have to get 02 sims. also make sure to get o2 extensions for your headers if you get the long tubes.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You need sims for the rear and extensions for the front.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

I went with the Macs a few years ago and havent been disapointed. I was looking for extra ground clearance because my 98 trans am is a daily driver. At the time Hookers were just comming out and had no availible Y pipe, and there were really not many other choices.

My car has absolutely no emissions equipment on it and passed by means of LS1edit. I highly doubt that your local emissions testing facility will do a visual. Most of the people working at a place like that dont even know what to look for.

-Doug

Quick Reply: pacesetter mid-tube vs MAC mid-tube headers.