Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will I need 4 24" jack stands for LT install?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default will I need 4 24" jack stands for LT install?

comment:
I don't mind buying one set of tall jack stands (even though I don't have room to keep them and don't really forsee using them again after LT install. because I have 17" stands & ramps do me fine for the stuff I'm capable of doing.

Question 1.
I was thinking using my ramps on back wheels and use a bunch of concrete slabes ( each slabe is 1 1/2 ") on top of ramps
5 slabes would be 7 1/2" on top of the rhino ramps
would this be hi enuoght with the 24" jack stands on front for a LT install?

comment & question together :
Hooker header instructions state the car needs to be 36" off the ground that seams kindof high to me?

Question 2:
can 24" jack stands & 24" floor jack be rented?

Question 3:
if rentable how much money do I have to give?

Comment 3:
prefer not to pay some guy $150. to install LTs
Old 09-04-2005, 04:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just jacked the front of my car as high as i could, didnt lift the back up at all, i think i was 26 inches off the ground from the bottom of the bumper
Old 09-04-2005, 04:35 PM
Teching In

and my installation directions said the same thing, 36 inches, and i was no where near that high.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:35 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I just had the front of the car on 24" craftsman jackstands, with the back wheels chocked. Trust that you are going to need every bit of the 24" that the jackstands provide.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:37 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Also you better have a good jack.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:41 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Yeah, I used a jack to get it as high as possible. Then I had two rhino ramps for the rear wheels, I also chocked the rears. Then I had two jack stands for some extra insurance under the car.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't forget to chalk those rear wheels!
Old 09-04-2005, 07:41 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

I ran the front up on Rhino ramps, then jacked up until the wheels were 4 or 5" above the ramps then put the jackstands in place. Never raised the back at all. As was said, you will need a good jack. Those little poor excuse for floor jacks -might- get you up there, then quit. Mine did (brand new) and I bought a 3 ton Pro Lift speed jack from Advance for about $88 and it works like a dream.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good news. I can put Flowtechs, Pacesetters, Hooker, and Jet Hot headers on with the front wheels only 8" off the ground.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:41 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i put my pacesetters in and had the front wheels high enough off the ground to slide a 5 gallon pail underneath. Just leave the rear wheels on the ground and choke them. Also, remove the heat sheilds makes it a little easier to slide in.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default dam

Originally Posted by gwj
I ran the front up on Rhino ramps, then jacked up until the wheels were 4 or 5" above the ramps then put the jackstands in place. Never raised the back at all. As was said, you will need a good jack. Those little poor excuse for floor jacks -might- get you up there, then quit. Mine did (brand new) and I bought a 3 ton Pro Lift speed jack from Advance for about $88 and it works like a dream.
I was just down there doing a job in St.Agustine/Jacksonville. I think I'll move there looks nice.

ok 5" above rhino ramps dam sure is'nt 24" is it?

I kindof like to be thought I've #ered my questions and comments but still get the half way answer, I prefer a answer to each indivdaule question so I won't be confussed.

I'm so confussed I see pic's here on the net stating you have to have the car up 24". on both end's.

Last edited by badmfkr; 09-05-2005 at 12:25 AM.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:20 AM
gwj
TECH Addict

Yeah. I understand the confusion. Someone posted a while back he could install LTs with just rhino ramps for the front wheels. I've got the 6 ton Pro Lift stands, don't know how high they go. Since I was working on the ground, I used 16" x 16" concrete pavers or ever what they are called to place under the stands and the jack. If you are working on concrete or pavement probably most any stand will work, even if you have to put some 2x12s under them. To give you an idea of the height, I was standing on a cinder block to bolt the headers up.

Another option is to rent a good floor jack. I've done that many times in the past.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default jack stands

Originally Posted by gwj
Yeah. I understand the confusion. Someone posted a while back he could install LTs with just rhino ramps for the front wheels. I've got the 6 ton Pro Lift stands, don't know how high they go. Since I was working on the ground, I used 16" x 16" concrete pavers or ever what they are called to place under the stands and the jack. If you are working on concrete or pavement probably most any stand will work, even if you have to put some 2x12s under them. To give you an idea of the height, I was standing on a cinder block to bolt the headers up.

Another option is to rent a good floor jack. I've done that many times in the past.
how much money would I have to give. for renting a good jack and good stands.
I really need to find a new garage to hang out at where they let me use the lift from time to time.

Thanks to all for responses
Old 09-05-2005, 01:01 PM
11 Second Club

I picked up an extra set of heavy duty stands (6 ton) at Wal-mart for around 20 bucks. BTW when I installed my new exhaust system, I had the rear wheels on the larger Rhino ramps, and six different jack stands underneath (I know it's probably overkill, I just figured the more the better). Good luck with your install, just remember to take your time, not get in hurry, and give yourself lots of time (it took me about 12 hours working by myself).
Old 09-05-2005, 01:18 PM
TECH Junkie

I've done 2 sets of headers with the car on 4 ramps.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default mods

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
I dig you're mods I heard the flux capistor is whorth big horse power gains
Old 09-05-2005, 06:30 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
There is no doubt that raising the back will lessen the amount you have to jack up the front.
Working on the dirt, so to speak, like I was, I was thinking it was better to get all I could high in the front.
I'm no expert, I've only installed 1 set of headers on a late model F body. I only know what worked for me.
I'm not comfortable jacking up both ends of the car on Florida sand. One thing I firmly believe in is a darn good jack and decent stands with something solid underneath.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:43 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by badmfkr
how much money would I have to give. for renting a good jack and good stands.
I really need to find a new garage to hang out at where they let me use the lift from time to time.

Thanks to all for responses
Just call your local equipment rental place to get prices. I woud recommend having an extra set of hands when you go to bolt up the headers. I had every thing fighting me (jack, frozen bolts on original exhaust, grinding those suckers off, 110* heat indices, etc) but... having my wife hold the pass side header up cut my frustration level down 200% for that few minutes help. And definitely get those F'n coil packs out of the way.
And the best advice I can give...if you do not have another vehicle available to make a parts run (liquor run, whatever ) then have someone you can call just in case. Hell, I'm 54 and it took me way longer than it should have, but that's my excuse.
Now get your *** in gear and do it.