Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differential Drop

Old 09-07-2005, 03:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential Drop

Hello everyone. I'm having trouble installing a new exaust system on my 2000 ta. What are the procedures for lowering the rear-end so that I can slide the stock exaust out from under the car?
Old 09-07-2005, 07:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Unbolt the panhard rod That goes from the drivers side of the axle to the pass side of the frame, just un bolt one side. Remoeve the 2 shock bolts from the axle and leave the shocks hang from the car, and remove the two big bolts holding the TQ arm to the axle. At this point you just have the two lower control arms holding the axle in, if you lower it it will swing out of the way. Watch your brake lines you can disconect the main line that goes in to the spliter on the axle if you have to. Also unbolt the U joint for the drive shaft.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ummm depends on what you mean by lowering. If you want to just lower it some you could get away with disconnecting the shocks, panhard bar, and possibly the sway bar. If you want to drop it quite a bit I'd go ahead and disconnect the torque arm, driveshaft, and maybe even the brakes (just from the axle, so you don't have to bleed them and stuff later on). BTW I had quite a bit of difficulty getting the torque arm back in and bolted up, so if you don't need to, don't disconnect it. You'll need to support it with a jack underneath the "pumpkin". It's kind of heavy so it's prolly best to have a friend there with you. I basically did it on my own, but it would have been a lot easier if someone else was there.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks alot, the info helped alot.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, I just used a Sawzall on mine. Right at the top of the over-axle pipe. I chucked it in the dumpster at work and never looked back. Is there some reason you want to keep yours intact?

What system are you going to, BTW?

Search this Thread