Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alternator ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default alternator ?

when i was under my car replacing the a/c belt tensioner i thought i should go ahead and lub up the rest of the pulleys while im there, well when i was doing it i noticed that the alternator pulley squeeked when i did it. i was wondering can i can fix it so i dont have to replace the whole alternator? is this a sign that the alternator is going bad and i should repalce it? where is the cheapest palce to pick one up? i noticed that autozone had it for bout $200 is that the cheapest?

thanks
steve
Old 09-07-2005, 03:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look in the yellow pages for an Alternator / automotive electric shop. I think the local one around here charges $75 to swap an altenator due to bearing reasons.

The bearing itself is cheap, and I used to rebuild altenators in my 3rd gen Camaros. I heard the 4th gens require brazing, thus making it less possible for the average person. I'd like to see how hard it is, I mean if it could be done with a propane torch (like those used for copper plumbing) then it would be cheap to do.