Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which one to do next??

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which one to do next??

ok well i just got my 3" cutout installed and love it, makes the car sound great and more flow than my flowmaster gave me. also is there suppose to be a little bit of exhaust flow to the catback, b/c i still have some exhaust comin out the pipes out back. but the question is since i got that done should i get pacesetter headers and offroad Y or should i go with a fuddle racing 3500 torque converter??? i heard torque converters make A4s really bad *** and fun to drive while also hearing headers and Y make a worlds difference over stock headers and catted Y. what do you guys out there think i should do???
Old 09-10-2005, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

First major mod I did to my car was a Yank Y3000 torque converter (daily driver), and havent regreted it at all. Keep in mind that you should consider doing a transgo and a trans cooler at the same time.

After I did the converter, I put Mac headers/ORY on the car. I have been very happy with both mods. The converter did make the car drive much better all the time.

If you decide to put a torque converter on the car, 3500 seems like a the right neighborhood. I regret only going with a 3000 stall speed, but keep in mind I drove in Chicago snow for the past 4 years. I doubt the car would have moved well in the snow with a converter that has a STR of 2.0 or higher.

Get the converter, then the headers...just plan for future mods. If you plan on using nitrous oxide at all it needs to be considered in converter choice.

-Doug
Old 09-10-2005, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i can not make any comment on the converter but headers would be really cool. there is nothing like piping down the street
Old 09-11-2005, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

get the converter makes a lot of difference that u can feel driving , then get headers(it u have the money set stainless headers so they dont rust)
Old 09-11-2005, 10:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If it was me, I'd do the headers and ORY first. I'd want to finish what I was doing before I moved on to another mod. And by that, I mean...finish up the exhaust. You've already installed the cat-back and cutout, so don't move on to another mod and skip over finishing the first mod. I'd do the headers and ORY and have the exhaust fully finished, then install the T/C. You will need a tranny cooler, 24k would work fine. A shift kit is not needed unless you want it. Shift kits just make the shifts more firm, so it's really a preference mod.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

yeah 00 SLVR Z i see that you have the same list of mods that i want to do other than the WMRA kit and Boa hood, i think i might just do the headers and offroad Y first like you said might as well finish what i started. plus the headers will give me more horsepower than the converter, its just the converter makes the car pick up faster. and i cant imagine what my car will sound like with headers and offroad Y lol
Old 09-11-2005, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

From what I have read, for an A4, a stall should be the very first mod no matter what.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Z28LS1camaroguy
yeah 00 SLVR Z i see that you have the same list of mods that i want to do other than the WMRA kit and Boa hood, i think i might just do the headers and offroad Y first like you said might as well finish what i started. plus the headers will give me more horsepower than the converter, its just the converter makes the car pick up faster. and i cant imagine what my car will sound like with headers and offroad Y lol
Well that's just how I'm doing it. I've already got my exhaust, I've ordered my Pacesetters and me & my friend are going to install them next saturday. And my next mods will follow in order in my sig...WMRA kit, my hood, TCI 3500 stall T/C. I hope to have those mods when I get my tax returns next spring.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

do the converter, no questions.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would say converter first, even though I drive a 6-speed, just because everyone I know that has done a converter has no complaints about it and all they say is how much better it makes the car. Headers and ORY are a great mod, and will make a difference, but the converter will mess with your dyno #'s so dont let those confuse you if you do the converter first and then headers and get it dynoed. Plus, an auto with a stall is a beast at the track. Oh, and ditch the flowcrapper muffler if at all possible. That doesnt flow at all, swap it out for a higher flowing muffler or even a bullet.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:39 PM
TECH Addict

yeah i got a cutout in there now so the flowmaster isnt a problem anymore, i dont close the cutout so its loud all the time. i cant decide some people say headers and Y, and some say converter, i dont want to make a bad choice but with these two you really cant but which one will make my car more powerful thats what i want more power.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:15 PM
Banned

Headers will make you more power so I would go with them. BTW, will still have a little bit of exhaust and sound coming through the muffler even with the cutout open.