Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sounds like a supercharger under the hood

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 12:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sounds like a supercharger under the hood

the noise started abot 2-3 weeks ago, and within the last two days or so has gotten significantly louder but not overbearing.

the noise is a whistle / whine that sounds almost exactly like a supercharger.

i removed my belt and started the car and the noise went away, which rulled out intake leaks. its not a/c related, and the waterpump pully has zero play in it.

but as soon as i took the cap off the power steering pump i instantly heard where the noise was comming from. its definantly comming from the power steering pump.

the fluid is slightly below "full cold" when its cold, mainly because every time i fill it to "full" it just pukes it out within a day.

so whats the diagnosis? how bad might it be? how much is it to replace and how difficult is it to do myself?
Old 09-11-2005, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Interesting...I get that noise too off and on, always thought it was intake-related. I also lose some steering fluid, and there's some fluid on the lower control arm that's maybe dripped from the pump. Do you have an SS with the PS cooler? Do you have any leaking fluid?
Old 09-11-2005, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had the same problem...its most likely not the power steering pump, that is what i thought as well..changed mine and the noise was still there...at the same time my altenator was starting to go, so i changed that hoping that was it, but no...i changed the pully next to the altenator, and still didnt stop it...im still not sure what it is, but i've just givin up and let it whistle...but recently it has just stoped on its own...so who knows..

Jon
Old 09-11-2005, 02:38 PM
Teching In

If it's like mine, it's the fuel pump. It whines until the motor gets warm and then it stops. And it starts again when I turn the car off and crank it back up. I don't think that it's hurting anything but you might want to check into it if it bothers you.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine's not the fuel pump, the sound goes right with the rpm, and only when warmed up.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:11 PM
On The Tree

i would make sure all the belts are seated properly and in the correct configuration.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:55 PM
Staging Lane

its not the fuel pump

yea, i have an SS so it has the PS cooler but that thing still gets incredibly hot. hot enough to shoot the stuff through the PS lid and all over the side of the pump, hence its never at "full" but just partially under "full" at all times.

the noise is definantly comming out of the PS pump filler lid when i pull it off.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by anasazi
its not the fuel pump

yea, i have an SS so it has the PS cooler but that thing still gets incredibly hot. hot enough to shoot the stuff through the PS lid and all over the side of the pump, hence its never at "full" but just partially under "full" at all times.

the noise is definantly comming out of the PS pump filler lid when i pull it off.
trust me, same as mine did...i mean you can change it if it makes you feel better, but i dont think it will fix it...that was my experience atleast!

Jon
Old 09-11-2005, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

what will happen if the PS pump goes bad? is it something that will leave me stranded on the side of the road?

if not i might just wait till it grenades itself and fix it then.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by anasazi
what will happen if the PS pump goes bad? is it something that will leave me stranded on the side of the road?

if not i might just wait till it grenades itself and fix it then.

Nah, you'll just lose PS.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My power steering pump gets noisy if its slightly low, especially after a WOT blast...
Old 09-12-2005, 11:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a stethascope or use a broom handle and place it on the various parts. Those noises can travel. I have seen the shaft in the pump brake on astro vans and pick up from the mid '90s, but not on a LSX vehical. Did you change the belt? A bad rack could make the pump whine too. Just a few things to check.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

I can't tell you for sure what your problem is but I went through this same type of sound on my 2000 WS-6 (like 2 weeks ago) and it turned out to be a fried A/C compressor. The sound started one day and gradually would get louder just like I had installed a supercharger on it. Then one day the air started blowing hot I popped the hood and found the belt broke due to a fried compressor.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:56 PM
Staging Lane

belt is only 2k miles old, its a goodyear gaterback.

don't think its the A/C compressor because the noise goes away when i remove the main belt not the A/C belt.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:07 PM
TECH Regular

I have this problem, but I know it is with power steering. It is when I turn too fast. The noise comes on very loud and gradually goes away. I definitely know it is with the power steering.