Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

running like crap after new wires.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default running like crap after new wires.

I replaced the wires cuz one of my wires pulled out of the boot and i had to drive it up to the store with a missing cylinder. bought $90 lifetime wires at pepboys cuz it was the only store and brand that any place within 50 miles had in stock anyway after the wire change my car is running like crap, hesitating under load and missing at WOT. i double tripple quadruple checked all the wires again and anything else i could find, everything looks good. i have no SES light after a code reset from the #6 cylinder not having a wire. whats up here? the wires are 7mm, are they maybe not good enough? did i foul a plug out by not having a wire hooked up?
Old 09-12-2005, 11:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Since someone will say this I'll be the first. You probably didn't get them snapped on all the way. The end on the coil clicks twice and the end on the plug is sometimes hard to get on and some of mine don't click even when installed right. I would try putting some dialectric grease on them also to get an even better connection.

You could have a fouled plug, but the wires would not have done that. Unless they are horrible quality wires I can't see that they would have any more resistance than the stock wires.

I just saw you are from Troy. I bought my wires at Ramchargers in Warren. They should have them in stock or get them in 1 day... MSD You may want to try them and return the other wires.

Brian
Old 09-12-2005, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00PewterSS
Since someone will say this I'll be the first. You probably didn't get them snapped on all the way. The end on the coil clicks twice and the end on the plug is sometimes hard to get on and some of mine don't click even when installed right. I would try putting some dialectric grease on them also to get an even better connection.

You could have a fouled plug, but the wires would not have done that. Unless they are horrible quality wires I can't see that they would have any more resistance than the stock wires.

I just saw you are from Troy. I bought my wires at Ramchargers in Warren. They should have them in stock or get them in 1 day... MSD You may want to try them and return the other wires.

Brian
like i said i double quadruple checked that they are on all the way, 2 clicks there all on. i drove like 20 miles with no wire on plug #6, this is why i think it may be fouled? ill have to pull the plug and check it. yes i want to take the wires back, think pepboys will give me my money back on used wires? at the time that the wire went out i was in southfield, too far to drive to ramchargers before they closed or that woulda been the first place to go i went to 4 dealerships in the area, called every autozone and murrays that was close no one had any wire set, i think there was a curse put on my car that day.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Definately pull the plug, also if you havent check the injector harness then make sure all of those plugs are snapped on to the injectors. My number 6 was missing this weekend too but it only happened when i drove it in the rain so i am still confused since my plugs/wires/injectors are all good.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by hourang
like i said i double quadruple checked that they are on all the way, 2 clicks there all on. i drove like 20 miles with no wire on plug #6, this is why i think it may be fouled? ill have to pull the plug and check it. yes i want to take the wires back, think pepboys will give me my money back on used wires? at the time that the wire went out i was in southfield, too far to drive to ramchargers before they closed or that woulda been the first place to go i went to 4 dealerships in the area, called every autozone and murrays that was close no one had any wire set, i think there was a curse put on my car that day.
Yeah, I guess that could have fouled it If the plug looks ok I would check the resistance of the wires... It is possible that you have a bad wire even though they are new. No idea if pepboys would take those back, I've never bought anything from them.

Good luck, let us know what fixed it!

Brian
Old 09-12-2005, 02:02 PM
Teching In

I had the same problem with the #8 plug popping of. i drove mine 2 miles to advanve auto put the wire back on there . still had a slight miss. replaced the wire. still missed. changed the plug and that fixed the problem. hope this helps!
Old 09-12-2005, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Swap the plugs to a new set of ngk tr55's, and swap the wires to msd. The msd wires only cost me 65 dollars from paw. If you had a tech 2 or autotap you could check the misfire history to see where the problem is.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

the plugs are new too, tr6 plugs gapped at .038. have a 150shot waiting to go once the gremlins are worked out. guess ill check the plugs starting with #6 if you think that fouled it out. im not getting an SES light, if anyone in my area has an autotap they can run on my car i would appreciate it.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just put on a new set of MSD's after developing a misfire from a burned through wire. I got underneath the car to get the number plug boot onto the number 8 plug. Then I had to plug it into the coil pack with the coil pack still loose. I tried getting it on with the coil pack installed and could not get it to click twice. I also used plenty of dieletric grease. Good luck.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

im thinking its the temp sensor on the drivers side head that i need to replace. not sure what its called cuz i went to autozone and asked for a coolant temp sensor and the sensor they gave me only had 2 wires instead of 3. i verified on there computer that they gave me the right part number, is it an engine temp sensor? they didnt have one in stock so i couldnt check.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:37 AM
12 Second Club

It is the coolant temp sensor. I accidentally left mine unplugged for a couple days after doing my headers and didn't notice any missing or anything. With it unplugged the coolant temp just didn't register.

Brian
Old 09-14-2005, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

It is the coolant temp sensor. I accidentally left mine unplugged for a couple days after doing my headers and didn't notice any missing or anything. With it unplugged the coolant temp just didn't register.

Brian
ok then it doesnt make sense, they gave me part number SU112, but it does not plug into the harness, its 2 wires instead of 3. i verified on there screen that they gave me the right thing for what the computer said, even went to the website:

COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR for a
1998 CHEVROLET CAMARO

Item Part No. Price
WELLS SU112 $18.99

thats what i got and its the wrong thing, what do i do?
Old 09-14-2005, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

return it lol. maybe u got a 99+ part by accident?
Old 09-15-2005, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JustAnIlluzion
return it lol. maybe u got a 99+ part by accident?
no thats what it said on there computer for a 98. went to napa, same thing, just the 2 wire sensor, pretty sure that goes on the front of the block. im thiniking the drivers side head sensor is called an engine temp sensor? the guy at napa had no idea and told me to go to the dealership. come on guys someone has to have replaced this...
Old 09-15-2005, 02:45 PM
12 Second Club

I just looked this up in a '98 service manual. The sensor you are talking about is the ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature) sensor. It should throw a code (SES light) if it is broken. I can't see any reference to what the vehicle would run like if it was broken, it just says it would set a code. Looks like it is 3 pins, but only 2 are used from the wiring diagram.

What makes you suspect this is bad?

Brian
Old 09-15-2005, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just looked this up in a '98 service manual. The sensor you are talking about is the ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature) sensor. It should throw a code (SES light) if it is broken. I can't see any reference to what the vehicle would run like if it was broken, it just says it would set a code. Looks like it is 3 pins, but only 2 are used from the wiring diagram.

What makes you suspect this is bad?

Brian
yeah i just went to the dealer and after a while of looking at diagrams they finally figured out it was an engine temp sensor. i posted in the pcm section that i had a flashing check guages and everyone said its probably that sensor on the drivers side head and that if its bad it could cause it to hesitate like its doing so im gonna try replacing it and see what happens.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok i replaced the engine coolant temp sensor on the drivers side head, no change whatsoever. still have a flashing check "GUAGES" light near idle, still hesitates like crazy and misses at WOT. anyone have any idea? is it just shitty wires? i hope not they cost $90.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seen this numerous times... 99% of the time it's a loose spark plug wire. Go back over each one very carefully.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry to post in an old thread, but this happened to me to and heres how I fixed it. I had problems getting the wires to snap onto the plugs. I thougth it was because of the little heat shields so I trimmed aboit 1/8" off the top and they all snap right down with the push of your finger. dont forget the grease!