Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Own Custom Exhaust!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 04:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb My Own Custom Exhaust!!!

What's goin on? This forum has really helped me out and after careful consideration and lots of thought I think I have finally come up with my own true dual exhaust setup (Let me know if I am dreaming or not!!!). It will take some time and careful placement but I think it will work...Check it out!

First I am going to purchase the FLOWTECH headers (1.75" tubes to a 3" collector). Next I'm going to incorporate a universal x-pipe from JEG'S. I'm not going to run it with Cat's @ first to see how it sounds and see if I can pass emitions with my hook-up (keeping my fingers crossed). If not then I'll wind up getting 2 Magnaflow Performance Hi-Flow Catalytic Converters 3" in/out. Last I'm gonna slap on a pair of 3"in/out Dynomax Bullet Mufflers to make it rumble. 460$ w/out the cat's...around 640$ with the cat's. I'm not going to put it in one piece @ a time...it's all going on @ once. It is going to take some time to get all the parts with my budget, but that's what I plan on doing. I've added up all the other options and that includes the Texas Speed and Performance true dual setup and, with the cats and headers, it still costs less with my setup. Now being able to pull it off will be something else. I still have to run this setup by my exhaust guy so some things might change, but not if I can help it...hopefully he says it's a go. If so then my project will start when I get back from New Orleans, LA (navy, onboard the USS IWO JIMA!!!). I'll let y'all know how it goes...
Thanks for all the advice. I preeshutate it...

Griff
Old 09-12-2005, 07:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive already done what you are about to do.

Forget the Flowtechs and get the Pacesetters. You can get them just as cheap (375). They are way better with thicker flanges.

Be ready to do alot of cutting and welding to make that kit work. You will also need atleast 1 U bend to do the driver side.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Full-Force
Ive already done what you are about to do.

Forget the Flowtechs and get the Pacesetters. You can get them just as cheap (375). They are way better with thicker flanges.

Be ready to do alot of cutting and welding to make that kit work. You will also need atleast 1 U bend to do the driver side.
Ditto, lose the flowtechs. I have them and they are junk. They will leak a little unless you run really thick crush gaskets. For a little more coin (maybe 20 bucks) get the hooker or edelbrock headers rolling around on ebay.

I wouldn't run the pacesetters either as they hang lower than the hookers. Ground clearance is the big issue with TD's. That and tq arm clearance.

Nate
Old 09-12-2005, 07:48 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Hey out there on the Iwo Jima! Did you get to see the Prez?
When my budget allows, I'm going to get a cheap Mig (or even stick) welder and fab something up. Will fab duals with w/chambered muffs out the back. Funny-I welded for years but have never owned a machine. Well, Christmas will be here before long....
Old 09-12-2005, 07:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nate, the Pace do not hang lower than Hookers. They tuck so tight that you cant run a straigh 3" pipe off of them without bending it to go under the floor brace.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree with Full-Force

Buy the Pacesetter Ceramic coated LT's (Right around $400 shipped)
My last TD setup was a 3" Universal X pipe from Summit and I took it to a muffler shop and paid them $70 dollars to install or you can buy an extra J/U bend, pipe extender and do it yourself.

Kevin
Old 09-12-2005, 07:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Full-Force
Nate, the Pace do not hang lower than Hookers. They tuck so tight that you cant run a straigh 3" pipe off of them without bending it to go under the floor brace.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:07 AM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up Yeah I saw the Prez!!!

You say Pacesetter instead of Flowtech huh? That's about a hundred daollar difference. 285$ for the Flowtechs...just use thicker gaskets? Well I guess if I wanna do it right I gotta get the right *hit. And I am going to get the cat's too. I don't wanna have to re-do anything. Like I said, it's still in the planning phase so, ANY room for improvement without pushing my budget up too high will probably get done. Just wish I had MORE MONEY!!!!!!!!! Well Once I start trust me, I'll keep y'all updated. One more thing...this setup is gonna be pretty loud, huh? Any other mufflers you might suggest for this TD set-up to keep from getting a ticket on my way to work everyday???

Griff
Old 09-13-2005, 01:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had both flowtechs and the pacesetters. The flowtechs are junk. They leaked horribly. I have the pacesetters now and I am not impressed with them either. After only a month of use, the passenger side was rusting at the collector. I am going to be replacing these shortly with either Kooks/QTP's. IMO, if you are going to do it right, pay the extra and get Kooks/QTP's.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

I have the Pacesetters and for the money couldn't be more pleased mine don't hit anywhere were a piece of cake to install and have driven them daily for about 12,000 miles and many many months and they show no signs of wear or anything. They definetly get my vote.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

pacesetters are great so far. for the muffs get some sweet thunders