Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixed my exhaust leak, basically for free

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 05:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fixed my exhaust leak, basically for free

I've had a long term exhaust tick since my header/dual install. I replaced the driver's side header gasket, and found a leak on number seven, and that stopped the leak. Several days later however, I heard a fainter version of the leak.

I've read different ways to fix this, ranging from RTV to aluminium HVAC tape. This got me thinking "Why not just use aluminium foil?" So I broke out the Reynolds wrap and got to it. I would pull off about six inches at a time, fold it over twice, then wrap it around the joint, then tighten the band clamp over it. I tightened the clamps pretty good, and plan on re-tightening them in a couple of days.

I found where a couple of leaks were while I was doing it, so I know that the clamps weren't clamping the pipe good. I figure that the foil acts kinda like a gasket and also provides a slightly bigger diameter for the clamp to clamp down on, thus stretching the clamp, which is what band clamps are meant to do anyway.

We'll see how well this works in the long run.

I hope this helps anyone who is having a leak problem with band clamps.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use some rtv with the foil and it will help it even more.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:55 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...SS shim stock should work well.....

Quick Reply: Fixed my exhaust leak, basically for free