Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Its been said before: LTs+ORY+LM=No No

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 02:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Its been said before: LTs+ORY+LM=No No

hey guys i have had Lts and ORY and a Lm for the past month or two and i have hated every second of it! finally tonight i redid my entire exhaust and added a Borla XR-1 so i thought that i would give a review.

I pulled everything including the collectors off of the car(headers stayed on) to correctly seal everything with some copper sealant and at every joint i used an exhaust band clamp. all of the leaks are finally gone. also what i did is i cut the y pipe and slipped it into both sides of the XR-1 and used 3in exhaust band clamps here as well. with the combo the entire exhaust is fully removable, and EASY to do at that. It is also leak free. definatly worth while in my opinion.

I did this whole thing just to remove it all again in a couple of months to go turbo, but it was eating me alive.

the only problem that i ran into is when i pulled the collector off i must have elongated some of the holes, so when i put it back on it was a little loose, and blew off on me on the first wide open throttle run
however i took it back home resealed it and tacked the bottom two pipes to the collector and that is also fixed now and working great.

As far as sound the Borla XR-1 worked wonders! The car still sounds great and very aggresive, however with a much more "refined" and mellow sound, not to mention, the HORRIBLE drone is virtually non-existant. i would say about 5% if even of what is before, definatlely doable and much better on you and passengers in the cabin.

tomorrow will be the first day with it all so i will be back to update.

In the end, the BORLA XR-1 just made my night, and my day, week, month, etc. i wont be embarrased to drive my car any longer.

best 100 bux ive spent yet.

louie
Old 09-14-2005, 12:18 PM
Launching!

I have a co-worker who has SLP LT's, ORY & LM exhaust on his 02 WS6, and it sounds bad ***, especially on a dyno.

This is the only car I've seen with the LT, ORY and LM combo... but everybody around work thinks it sounds great.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eh, LT's, ory, LM sounds good if its not your daily driver. If it is then I agree the noise gets on your nerves. I actually should update my sig but I gutted my cats and I like the sound. It was getting on my nerves when it was my daily driver but I recently purchased an 02 Lincoln Navigator to commute in and now everytime I get a chance to drive my z28 I love the sound!
Old 09-14-2005, 01:59 PM
TECH Regular

i too have done the borlamouth this past weekend, i really like the sound especially at wot, but i feel like it lost the obnoxious sound with just the lm and lts. i guess its a small price to pay for no drone and no rasp. i hear the xr1 will get louder over time i hope thats the case. i might have to try out the band clamps for better seal and clearance. i have a leak now thats driving me nuts. anyone got easy fix ideas for stopping the ypipe from banging until i get poly tranny mount and motor mounts?
Old 09-14-2005, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

guys the exhaust sounded awesome from the outside of the car, however inside i was embarrassed to drive it.

As far as the y pipe, mine does not bang so i have not idea, sorry.

after a day of driving to school and back i still could never be happier.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My Y also does not bang However, if it did I would try putting a piece of rubber fuel line between the pipe and the floor.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by half-n-half
guys the exhaust sounded awesome from the outside of the car, however inside i was embarrassed to drive it.

As far as the y pipe, mine does not bang so i have not idea, sorry.

after a day of driving to school and back i still could never be happier.
Yea I can see what you mean, shakes the change in the cup holder, vibrations everywhere, and you cant hold a convo, haha but thats how I like my exhaust!
Old 09-15-2005, 05:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01formula6
My Y also does not bang However, if it did I would try putting a piece of rubber fuel line between the pipe and the floor.

It's nothing a good muffler shop can't handle.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

half n half, did you ever get that thing dynoed again?