Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust, Rusting, and Rustoleum???

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 08:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust, Rusting, and Rustoleum???

Like the title impliea, why wouldn't spraying non stainless steel exhaust(headers, Y-Pipe) keep these pieces from rusting.

I just had an idea, but I figured there has to be a reson no one else would bring this up if it worked.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably wouldn't hurt, but unless you use high temp paint, it'll burn off quickly, not to mention if it gets chipped, scraped, etc that'll alllow the rust to start, it would be a constant battle to keep the paint up, and headers are not easy to repaint, unless you remove them periodically
Old 09-14-2005, 08:32 PM
TECH Resident

good point i dont know how much heat rustoleum can handle. How hot do the headers get, anyone know or anyone know where I could find out.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

Check Eastwood for header coatings.
Also, I know there is a DIY ceramic coating you can do, you just have to be able to bake it. I did an intake and piston faces for a 383 stroker in my last '69 Camaro, and it worked great. If I find the company name I'll post it. I want to get more of the stuff and do my Z-06 manifolds. It is water based, you make a goof, wash it off. It goes on w/ a airbrush. Bake it and buff it with steel wool.
ATAK
Old 09-14-2005, 11:10 PM
Teching In

Not real sure about the temperatures seen by the headers, but exhaust gas temperatures probably reach well over 1000 F, especially at WOT or at lean burn conditions.

Regular Rustoleum can only withstand around 200 F last time I checked their website (if I remember correctly) but their industrial high temp paint was rated to 1000 F. However, most polymeric coatings (paint included) need to be considered with respect to length of time exposure to these temperatures. It is one thing for the material to see only sporadic high temperatures, but something totally different at sustained high temperatures for long periods of time. I would expect even high temp paints to breakdown quickly in this particular application. Even the ceramic coatings will start to breakdown eventually. Hope this helps
Old 09-14-2005, 11:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How hot does the muffler get? I have sprayed my aerochamber w/black hi temp paint dues to scratches on it and its been holding up fine for the last year
Old 09-14-2005, 11:20 PM
Teching In

Maybe someone else can chime in with exact readings, but the temperatures at/of the muffler will be noticeably less than at the headers. Just as the temperature of the exhaust gas at the tailpipe is not that hot, relatively speaking.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

vht makes high temp paint for headers and exhaust components. the only problem is the smallest chip in the paint will allow moisture to sit there, and then it begins. By the way, pipes also rust from the inside, out. So be sure to always let your car get up to operating temps to burn off any condensation in the pipes.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

Here is a link for some of the ceramic based coatings. This is new stuff, no need to bake.
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...=egnsearch.asp
I plan on using these on a set of Z-06 manifolds, probably the satin black for contrast. I might even coat the aluminum a-arms with the first one.

Quick Reply: Exhaust, Rusting, and Rustoleum???