Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BGRA installed IAT temps lower

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up BGRA installed - IAT temps lower

Not sure if anyone has actually posted data on this, so thougt I would. I installed a BGRA kit a couple months ago, but the previous owner had done the free ram air mod (cut the bottom of the air filter box out). So, this made by BGRA not very effective at lowering intake air temps (it lowered them about 8-10 degrees only). Anyway, finally got a new airbox installed and did some checking with HPtuner scanner. IAT temps went from 93-98 F down to 78-83 F. This was on the same day and only about 1.5 hours apart. I would say that is pretty good

Last edited by bowtieman81; 09-16-2005 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:42 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is really good...I've been doing a lot of logging lately with HPT, and have noticed my IATs are definitely affecting my performance down here in FL since they are high enough to be pulling timing.

You wanna know what's a really good feeling? When you roll around, stop, and look at your IATs jump up to 160 degrees. Yummy.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
That is really good...I've been doing a lot of logging lately with HPT, and have noticed my IATs are definitely affecting my performance down here in FL since they are high enough to be pulling timing.

You wanna know what's a really good feeling? When you roll around, stop, and look at your IATs jump up to 160 degrees. Yummy.

160!! That is no good. I have had IAT temps about that high when it gets real hot here (before BGRA), but not often at all. I am liking the BGRA kit so far.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:24 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah...that was on a warm restart. I was none too pleased...
Old 09-15-2005, 09:53 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Many years ago I posted my a-tap observations of my BG kit on the WS6 when I first installed it.... I was seeing 30-40* drops in temps in hot weather. Ever since I've been a supporter of the kit.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtieman81
Not sure if anyone has actually posted data on this, so thougt I would. I installed a BGRA kit a couple months ago, but the previous owner had done the free ram air mod (cut the bottom of the air filter box out). So, this made by BGRA not very effective at lowering intake air temps . Anyway, finally got a new airbox installed and did some checking with HPtuner scanner. IAT temps went from 93-98 F down to 78-83 F. This was on the same day and only about 1.5 hours apart. I would say that is pretty good
sounds good. A couple of Q's?

1. Where and how are you measuring the intake temps?

2. What was the ambiant temps when you took the readings?

Ta
Old 09-16-2005, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Many years ago I posted my a-tap observations of my BG kit on the WS6 when I first installed it.... I was seeing 30-40* drops in temps in hot weather. Ever since I've been a supporter of the kit.
Good results RPM. I would say that is right about in line with what I am seeing. I forgot to mention in the first post that I did see 8-10 degree IAT drop putting the kit on, even with the FRA mod. So that added to the 20 degrees or so seems about right.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
sounds good. A couple of Q's?

1. Where and how are you measuring the intake temps?

2. What was the ambiant temps when you took the readings?

Ta
1. measurement is from factory intake air temp sensor, which is in the intake lid

2. For me it was about 2 weeks ago or so and ambient air was ~85 F, humidity was about 80% that day if I remember right.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtieman81
1. measurement is from factory intake air temp sensor, which is in the intake lid

2. For me it was about 2 weeks ago or so and ambient air was ~85 F, humidity was about 80% that day if I remember right.
cool, well it shows its working. And any additional ponies should be attributed to lower intake temps.

However I guess it might have been a bit colder out though. As I can't see anyway the intake air would be able to drop below ambiant. As there is no cooling, mearly ducting.

There is only 1 reason I can think of (but would need to check up the physics).

If you compress air it increases in temp as a by-product. Thus intercoolers are used. So presumable if you decrease the air intake pressure it should cool.

If you have a CO2 air gun, you'll know that after firing the CO2 canaster is cold, this is due to expansion (reduced pressure) of the gas causing a cooling affect.

As I said I have no idea if this is true or not, just an assumption. But if it is correct then this is actually the total opposite to RAM AIR.

Irony really.

However it does look good for the justification of using 'cool air ducts' along with a good air box design to promote air box resonance.

Cheers for the info.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
cool, well it shows its working. And any additional ponies should be attributed to lower intake temps.

However I guess it might have been a bit colder out though. As I can't see anyway the intake air would be able to drop below ambiant. As there is no cooling, mearly ducting.

There is only 1 reason I can think of (but would need to check up the physics).

If you compress air it increases in temp as a by-product. Thus intercoolers are used. So presumable if you decrease the air intake pressure it should cool.

If you have a CO2 air gun, you'll know that after firing the CO2 canaster is cold, this is due to expansion (reduced pressure) of the gas causing a cooling affect.

As I said I have no idea if this is true or not, just an assumption. But if it is correct then this is actually the total opposite to RAM AIR.

Irony really.

However it does look good for the justification of using 'cool air ducts' along with a good air box design to promote air box resonance.

Cheers for the info.
I typoed above, ambient air temp was closer to 80 F (the high for the day was 84 according to weather records). I should have looked it up instead of guessing. Anyway, bottom line is the ram air kit got intake temps basically reduced to ambient. Hope that helps.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i see the same thing my IAT is now recording the same temp as outside.My sensor is also in the stock location.On a hot start the temps will be up around 120 or so but will drop back to ambient temps in about a half mile.works damn good

Quick Reply: BGRA installed IAT temps lower