Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wanting true duals

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 02:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wanting true duals

well i was going to go with the hooker LT's wit a o/r y pipe but im thinking of just going with a hooher LT'S o/r Hpipe 3 inch true duals all the way back with a pair of flow master 1 chamber race mufflers now dont know to much a bout true duals on the f bodys so i can use some help on this 1 guys and also aney problems with ses lite and what o/r h pipe i whoud go with and also shoud i just have an exhaust shop make me true duals or shoud i get a set of tsp or some other brand relly wanting to go with 3inch...
Old 09-17-2005, 03:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well just had exactly what you want done this week. Impossible to get 3 inch all the way out the back, suspension gets in the way. I have Hooker long tubes, 3 inch pipes into hi-flo cats, and then into Flowmaster 1 chambers. I have the exhaust coming out the side right infront of the rear tires. Looks great, sounds better, but i'm warning you, ITS LOUD. REAL LOUD, I'm looking to quiet it down a bit. Looking for suggestions on that one on how to quiet it. If you want it out the back, you will have to reduce down to 2.5 inch to get over the axle. I can get some pics of it soon and hopefully some sound so you can make a more edumacated decision on what you want done. I put about $1400 into the exhaust from engine to tips.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:58 AM
On The Tree

hmmmm.. then i will probly have to go with a 2 chamber 40 series muffler and 2.5 inch to get over the axel you say.. you have aney problem with the ses lite or 02 sensors? and also do's the 1 chamber race mufflers by flowmaster sound good and deep or almost like a real loud crappy work truck kinda sound?
Old 09-17-2005, 04:01 AM
On The Tree

ohh also the pics and sound clips whoud be great and also what kind if h pipe you went with?
Old 09-17-2005, 05:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

the whole thing was custom. The mufflers sound great. My engine is just about totally stock, so you get the grumbles and the very occasional small backfire because the tubes are so big. Its a nice deep sound, the mufflers are close to the ground, so you get the ground pounding effect like the NASCAR modifides. Now with the loudness issue. At an idle, its not loud. With it idling in the garage, you can barely hear it in my living room which is just on the other side of the wall. I have never heard it driven from outside of the car. I need to do this to guage actually how loud it is. I have not turned as many heads as I thought I would.

As for SES, not one bit. Even when I fired it with open headers, the O2's held up. I of course got sims for the rear plugs. I do know there is a concearn that when you go to LT's and a big exhaust, the PCV valve works overtime, and there is an oil consumption issue. Havn't really tackled that one yet. Just make sure that when u get it complete, that you put miles on it, and let the headers heat up and cool off so you can re-torque the header bolts properly so they wont work loose.

With that, I will stand down from my little soap box
Old 09-17-2005, 06:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Id go with tsp, but you will need to tune it at a dyno. My car never backfires but it will pop when its cold out and ive just started it, and its just when I first drive off, when I let off the gas. Other than that it never backfires or pops. I thought ive read of some guys doing 3" out the back but i cant remember for sure, id do a search with true duels, you will get alot of hits.You can also do a x or an H pipe, depending on what you want, you will find all the info in the search. Id study up first then decide. If you drive it untuned it will run rich and carbon up bad, and not have the power you payed for. GL bud.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

you can do 3" out the back if the shop's good or you go under the axle (which doesnt look very good). if you want your td's to be quieter add another set of bullit mufflers or add cats if you dont have em. but then you're losing the true performance gains of TDs. yes afterwards you will need a tune; but trust me, you still feel the awesome gains w/out one! DO NOT USE FLOWMASTER, there "proven technology" doesnt flow well for us, get some magnaflows, borla, bullits, or sweet thunders; they seem to be the most popular. and its TDs, its gonna be loud, especially ad WOT. normal driving you dont get lookers, only when you punch it
Old 09-17-2005, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you run untuned the pistons will carbon raising comp ratio and the exhaust ports will carbon up losing flow a little. It would be foolish to run untuned.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
you can do 3" out the back if the shop's good or you go under the axle (which doesnt look very good). if you want your td's to be quieter add another set of bullit mufflers or add cats if you dont have em. but then you're losing the true performance gains of TDs. yes afterwards you will need a tune; but trust me, you still feel the awesome gains w/out one! DO NOT USE FLOWMASTER, there "proven technology" doesnt flow well for us, get some magnaflows, borla, bullits, or sweet thunders; they seem to be the most popular. and its TDs, its gonna be loud, especially ad WOT. normal driving you dont get lookers, only when you punch it
I was thinking of going with hooker aero chambers after the LS1 swap in my 79... they sound good, flow good, so I think duals would sound good as well
Old 09-17-2005, 07:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
DO NOT USE FLOWMASTER, there "proven technology" doesnt flow well for us
The 80 series sucks for sure, but the 1 chambers have no choice but to flow well. There are only a pair of baffles from making it straight through. That's why they're called a race muffler.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

well thanks for the tips.. guys but i still dont know what h pipe to go with do's tsp have a web site and also do they make TD'S with a o/r h pipe but im pretty for sure im gonna do.. HOOKER LT'S O/R H PIPE TD'S WITH 1 CHAMBER RACE MUFFLERS it is gonna rockkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-17-2005, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

btw whats the hp gains with LTS O/R h PIPE TD"S and also a dyno tune? i was thinking.. a round 40 rwhp
Old 09-17-2005, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

thunder has panhard bar reloc. kit to get u 3' true duals
Old 09-17-2005, 10:30 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by H8Mac
thunder has panhard bar reloc. kit to get u 3' true duals
Even with that kit, it is nearly impossible to get 3" over the axle on the passenger side.

That said, it is NOT impossible to get two 3" pipes over the axle...you just have to do one on each side. You can remove the upper panhard brace for clearance (granted, I don't recommend this for anything other than a car that is strictly drag raced), or you can try to squeeze some oval tubing between the upper panhard brace and the lower panhard rod.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:04 AM
On The Tree

well i dont really want to go thru all that trouble for half on a inch 2.5 is good.. but however what whoud the best way to go a bout this a good exhaust shop make it from the headers back or.. fine a true dual set up for f bodys with an hpipe.. what i really dont know how to make this all happen i know im going with hooker lts h pipe flow master 1 chambers thats the i dea now how do i get this all... do i have an exhaust shop make it for me all out of hi flow stainless steel.. or go with tsp that i dont evan know how to find.. and from littile bit i know a bout tsp there systems only come with x right? so how do i make this happend????????
Old 09-18-2005, 12:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Most exhaust shops will say its not possible to do true duels on an F body. You might ask a few, but from my experience they are, "generally speaking" not really skilled people. Id search on true duels and print some pics and take it around and see who is the most confident they can do it out the back. The best one Ive seen had them on the pass side to behind the rear end then to both sides. Under the axle is ugly to me and very makeshift. Maybe a race fab shop if you can find one.Moremoney but it would be pretty and done with skill. Make sure if you do the x pipe that its a quality piece and not fabbed by the shop though, an H dont matter as much its easy. Texas Speed and Performance at 420.00 would probably be your cheapest route besides making it yourself, except you want them out the back.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:50 AM
On The Tree

well i went to texas speed and performance they have the true duals but with an xpipe they dont say nothing a bout offering an hpipe and there system was 3 inch all of guys said it wont go over ther axel with a 3 inch system do they offer a h pipe system that is 2.5....
Old 09-18-2005, 04:43 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єlˇmˇиąŧřя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbird-TA
hmmmm.. then i will probly have to go with a 2 chamber 40 series muffler and 2.5 inch to get over the axel you say.. you have aney problem with the ses lite or 02 sensors? and also do's the 1 chamber race mufflers by flowmaster sound good and deep or almost like a real loud crappy work truck kinda sound?
I have 2.5's that go all the way out the back with 18' Twister mufflers. I welded a flange on the end of the mufflers so i could dump it as well with 6 bolts and turn downs that i fabbed up as well. Sounds great both ways -- It is still loud as hell if it is off road-x all the way out the back, so if you still want a "throaty" exhaust you will get one with 2.5's!

I dumped mine for the time being because my cam was so choppy it broke the welds on the rear exhaust hangers, so i have not had tme to fix them back up again.

I got my through Lane. They were custom fabbed, but look pretty much like the Rumbler, but just a smaller size offered better back pressure if it was dumped.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS69TA
The 80 series sucks for sure, but the 1 chambers have no choice but to flow well. There are only a pair of baffles from making it straight through. That's why they're called a race muffler.
EXACTLY! These mufflers are only 6.25" long! I love mine, the sound is great! I have my turndowns at 45*, so it still shakes the ground (and other cars) but I dont have all the interior noise.
Originally Posted by blackbird-TA
ohh also the pics and sound clips whoud be great and also what kind if h pipe you went with?
heres all I got, hope it helps
Attached Thumbnails wanting true duals-p6080025.jpg   wanting true duals-p7190029.jpg   wanting true duals-p7190030.jpg   wanting true duals-p7190031.jpg  
Old 09-18-2005, 12:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Bassani makes a TD system for us that goes all the way out, but its a bit pricey(around 800). you could go with a setup like the TSP true duals with sweet thunders. it dumps b4 the axle, but could be extended out the back by a professional if you wanted to later on. If you do get an exhaust shop to make you a true duals system, make sure they use true mandrel bent tubing, otherwise you are greatly limiting the flow.