Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers,ory and only one cat anyone

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers,ory and only one cat anyone

I running stock manifolds and y right now with a loudmouth. I love the sound but it on the verge of being to loud. I want headers and thought maybe I could install one cat in the connection between a ory and catback. This way I could use 1 high flowing cat. Anybody try it, or should I pony up the extra $ for catted y.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:33 AM
12 Second Club

ummm, if it's on the verge of being too loud for you with stock manifolds, you might want to change the loudmouth for something else when you get your LT's
Old 09-18-2005, 11:29 AM
On The Tree

I planned on keeping the loudmouth no matter what. I was hoping the 1 cat would tone it back down to close to how it sounds now. Maybe even pass the inspection.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99SSLS1
I planned on keeping the loudmouth no matter what. I was hoping the 1 cat would tone it back down to close to how it sounds now. Maybe even pass the inspection.
i agree with bastien, imo LM with LTs sound horrible, but on the subject of the cat in theory u could do it but i wonder about the rear o2s, would u set one on either side of the pipe and let them read the same thing? or would there be a way to get one to send 2 different readings? or just delete the codes and run the cat purely for less rasp?

all in all i dont think its worth it, either spring for the catted y, or delete rear o2 codes and go with the ory and a new catback (hooker, borla, gmmg, etc)

good luck w/e u decide to do, maybe another member can shed some more light
Old 09-18-2005, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

maybe throw two bullet mufflers in the tail pipes to tone it down?
Old 09-19-2005, 10:09 AM
Staging Lane

Well I just installed LT's, an o/r y-pipe with my LM on Friday. I've heard all talk about this setup being to loud an knew that it probably wasn't too loud for me. Well...I was wrong. On three days and I am already thinking about replacing the resignator with a Borla XR-1. You might want to think about that option.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SSLS1
I running stock manifolds and y right now with a loudmouth. I love the sound but it on the verge of being to loud. I want headers and thought maybe I could install one cat in the connection between a ory and catback. This way I could use 1 high flowing cat. Anybody try it, or should I pony up the extra $ for catted y.
it may quiet it down a bit but it will really hurt performance.

In the stock location a cat has to deal with the exhaust gases for 4 cylinders, yet it still produces some restriction (not really enough to worry too much about unless you need every bhp).

But by putting the cat in the I section of the Y it has to deal with double the exhaust gases.

IMO this will likely negate any gains from the LT's and cat back.

Either go for a catted Y or if you really must a OR/Y.