Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random Technology vs. Car Sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 12:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random Technology vs. Car Sound

I know that the Random Technology cats flow better, but how much better do they flow than the Car Sound cats? Anyone have any data on this? What I'm getting at is whether or not the Random Tech cats are worth the extra $$$.

Thanks.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:04 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MTI has some very nice looking Dynatech high flow cats. Very small to fit underneath the car!
Old 09-18-2005, 06:29 PM
TECH Resident

The metallic cats flow over 500 cfm. The carsound flows a little over 400 cfm. If you dont mind spending tyhe money get the metallic cats.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive had my carsounds for abouts 8 months and one has already gone bad....
Old 01-06-2006, 04:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

As of this week I need my 3rd set in 2 years. This last set lasted 400 miles before they started rattling. The first set came apart god knows when and plugged the pipes. I think they are a **** product. Mostl likely will take the new ones I get under warranty (hope) gut them out and put a pipe throught the middle of them.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:35 PM
LS1Tech Editor

You have replaced 3 sets of Random Techs?
Old 01-06-2006, 04:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mark A. Rogalski
As of this week I need my 3rd set in 2 years. This last set lasted 400 miles before they started rattling. The first set came apart god knows when and plugged the pipes. I think they are a **** product. Mostl likely will take the new ones I get under warranty (hope) gut them out and put a pipe throught the middle of them.

If you are going through cats that fast, then most likely your car is not tuned right, or you are banging them over speed bumps.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
If you are going through cats that fast, then most likely your car is not tuned right, or you are banging them over speed bumps.
Thanks, the 5-Gas test was fine (not rich) and would I most certainly have noticed...well, here you go:
True Duals underside pics

They are CarSound made by Mor-Flo distributed by Allied Exhaust Systems (model #3-250) and probably assembled by the lowest bidder!!

It seems the packaging mat that holds the substrate in place is what is breaking down causing the substrate to rattle and eventually break apart. I'm not sure if it's an intumescent or vermiculite mat material. Either way, they shouldn't rattle after a few rides around the big city, even if they get lit up like patio heaters at Hooters. First set lasted almost a year though.

These are only 2.75" tall unlike most everything out there that is 4". Probably just to much exhaust for these things to handle although we did specify the displacement/HP when fabricating and ordering from Allied.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:14 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Other than stock issued cats, the only brand that I've ever had good luck with lasting a long while/being good quality has been Random Tech. If I was going to replace a cat, I'd either get stock ones (for a stock car) or Random Techs for a modded car.