Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poly engine mounts for a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 03:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Poly engine mounts for a daily driver?

After the cam install I noticed @ idle speeds the engine jerks around way to much and you can visibly see the entire car shake (only mild cam lope, TR224/227 114LSA, currently stock tune until Sept. 21st). Even with the stock cam I think the engine moved too much under heavy acceleration. I suspect that I might have a bad engine mount that needs to be replaced. Since my car is a daily driven street car I have been afraid to install poly mounts as I HATE excessive vibrations while you drive. I know that it is a pita install and wanted to get it right the first time and not regret just replacing them with the brand new stock mounts I already have. Also, I will be keeping the stock tranny mount b/c the poly one I installed there was to harsh and I replaced it again with a new OEM mount.

Something else I have noticed about my car. Has anyone ever noticed if you compare the oil pan in reference to the K member that the oil pan appears to hang lower on the passenger side than the driver side. It looks as if the engine is sagging on the passenger side. Does this indicate a worn or broken engine mount? It might only be 1/4" of difference, but it is visibly lower.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got solid motor mounts in my daily driver and you couldn't tell they were in there unless i told you.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Catted Y pipe is banging and I'm afraid to get new Poly mounts cause I don't want more problems. I've heard it'll cure the y pipe from banging, but I might have more interior vibrations.

You guys don't have extra interior vibrations w/ the poly mounts?
Old 09-18-2005, 05:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would definitely check out your motor mounts if you have not already. Your engine should be sitting pretty much horizontal and not sagging on either side. Just replace with OEM ones if you don't want the vibrations.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been wanting poly mounts but have heard many say that with a cam there's too much vibration, that every single thing from the motor is transmitted to the cabin. What's the reality of having poly mounts, worse, better, etc....

Would love to hear more about these mounts from those who have them as well.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

which poly mounts were you planing on going with? The Prothanes?
Old 09-18-2005, 10:21 PM
10 Second Club

A friend and I split a set of prothane motor mounts. We each have one on the driver's side. It acts kind of like a ghetto torque strap, we both drag race our cars a lot. I really couln't tell much difference in the vibration. If you are worried about it just replace the drivers side and then do the passenger later on.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:31 PM
LC
TECH Resident

anyone have pics to see the mounts themselfs?

or install pics/guide?
Old 09-18-2005, 11:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before you listen to any one that says you'll get more viberation, ask if they have the mounts or if its just something they "heard" about.
I have SOLID motor mounts and the car drives just fine.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:04 AM
TECH Addict

I have a poly motor mount on the driver's side and it got rid of my banging Y-pipe under hard acceleration (any acceleration for that matter). I didn't notice any extra noises, vibrations or ill effects inside the cabin. I did notice that the engine doesn't shake as much under the hood though.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

OK, I have poly mounts on both side of my car. I have a poly tranny mount too. I run an F13 cam 112 LSA, with a 825 rpm idle. So the engine lopes a decent amount. You can feel the car shaking a little bit at idle, but thats the way I like my car. It can be nearly eliminated by upping the idle and adding a bit more timing.

That is really the only difference between poly feel versus stock mounts. The drivetrain definitely feels more solid with the poly mounts, no y-pipe banging and drastic shifter movement. I like them a lot and would not go back. Thats my 2 cents.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wanklin
which poly mounts were you planing on going with? The Prothanes?
Yes, Prothanes are what I had in mind.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:48 AM
TECH Veteran

I have a poly tranny mount and it stopped my LT header banging - great investment.

I purchased the motor mounts too but have not installed them yet....

Quick Reply: Poly engine mounts for a daily driver?