Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you get a cut-out what's the point of ....

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 11:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you get a cut-out what's the point of ....

If I plan on getting a cut-out, what is the point of getting aftermarket exhaust? (besides headers)
Old 09-18-2005, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

better flow...not all of the exhaust goes out of the cutout..not to mention the bottle next of a stock y pipe before the cutout...and also good performance while cut out is shut
Old 09-18-2005, 11:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you can have loud and LOUDER.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
better flow...not all of the exhaust goes out of the cutout..not to mention the bottle next of a stock y pipe before the cutout...and also good performance while cut out is shut
Oh, sorry, I meant exhaust AFTER the cutout. I'm just trying to see if it would be worth the money to get exhaust. Also, True Duals > Cutout??

EDIT

found my answer in the sticky

Exhaust Systems:
While there is A LOT of bullshit that flies around the Internet about "this exhaust sounds better then that one", this post is not for posers who want to whine about rasp. The very best-flowing exhaust there is, is a true dual X-pipe or H-pipe setup, with or without bullet mufflers. The next best thing is a cutout in the I-pipe. No cat-back out-flows a cutout; no Y-pipe setup out-flows true duals. Period.

So I guess, I'll get the cut-out since it's cheap, and get duals once I replace the headers.

Last edited by ebear; 09-19-2005 at 12:05 AM.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:43 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ebear
Oh, sorry, I meant exhaust AFTER the cutout. I'm just trying to see if it would be worth the money to get exhaust. Also, True Duals > Cutout??

EDIT

found my answer in the sticky

Exhaust Systems:
While there is A LOT of bullshit that flies around the Internet about "this exhaust sounds better then that one", this post is not for posers who want to whine about rasp. The very best-flowing exhaust there is, is a true dual X-pipe or H-pipe setup, with or without bullet mufflers. The next best thing is a cutout in the I-pipe. No cat-back out-flows a cutout; no Y-pipe setup out-flows true duals. Period.

So I guess, I'll get the cut-out since it's cheap, and get duals once I replace the headers.
Where is your data that no y pipe out flows true duals? Also how come Nascar runs a y pipe and not an X pipe. So dont state soemthing you dont have facts on.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Order 66
Where is your data that no y pipe out flows true duals? Also how come Nascar runs a y pipe and not an X pipe. So dont state soemthing you dont have facts on.
Hey, DONT start talking **** to me, that info is off the sticky on this website.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:38 AM
Launching!

and also to defend the creator of the sticky

the sticky is about f-bodies, nascar isn't using f bodies, therefore the advice does not apply to them, read the whole post before you respond to it.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

True duals definitely flow better, but you will like the cutout as well...I just love how it sounds.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
Brandon is right, not all exhaust will go out the cutout, this is from my own experience. And, a y-pipe can be a bottleneck, but different y-pipes vary as to restriction.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ebear
If I plan on getting a cut-out, what is the point of getting aftermarket exhaust? (besides headers)
You make a great point. I have been wondering the same thing. I dont want to get a $500 catback when I can get a $150 electric cutout w/ more flow and better sound. It is driving me nuts because either everyone on this site has more money than i do or they know something i dont! **** it, I'm getting a cutout!
Old 09-19-2005, 12:39 PM
VSJ
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 35thZ-28
You make a great point. I have been wondering the same thing. I dont want to get a $500 catback when I can get a $150 electric cutout w/ more flow and better sound. It is driving me nuts because either everyone on this site has more money than i do or they know something i dont! **** it, I'm getting a cutout!
Just be like me and get a $35 3" cutout and leave it open all the time.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98 LS WON
Just be like me and get a $35 3" cutout and leave it open all the time.
does it sound bad ***? how quick can you cap/uncap it?
Old 09-19-2005, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

On a stock exhuats a cut-out is gonna sound very similar to an SLP LM system if you put the cut-out in the I-pipe. I have heard a stock LS1 trans am with a cut-out and it sounded very similar to my car before I put on my headers. Its also real easy to cap and uncap but I say if your on stock manifolds and put it in the I-pipe you could run ti open all the time and it sounds real good. Good luck though with whatever you choose!
Old 09-19-2005, 01:20 PM
Launching!

Not getting the car until next year but I always wondered about it, I'm going to get a cut-out until a decide to swap headers then I'll just get true duals.

Now, is it worth it to get dual cut-outs?
Old 09-19-2005, 01:35 PM
12 Second Club

i dont think i'm going to do any catback stuff for a while now that i got my cutout.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:45 PM
Staging Lane

well IMO i liek the sound of my car with a hooker catback better than i like the sound of a cutout but i also have hooker headers and ORY. The catback kills rasp and drone well almost all of it and the cutout doesnt. Also People who have a cutout on a hooker muffler have not seen big gains with the cutout open versus closed. Which means the hooker muffler flows pretty well so im happy.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:53 PM
12 Second Club

you know i think i lucked up because i have no drone even with headers and no cats and a cutout. When i had stock manifolds i had alot of drone, but now there is none. In my case, i'll gladly take the cutout over anything else soundwise, but i know alot of people have problems just like i did with stock manifolds and for that i understand how alot of people would rather have their catback than listen to the cutout.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

If I could start modding my car all over I would just have bought an electric cutout and be done with it. Use the money saved for better go fast goodies.

As to the TD's vs Y setup........ Mike Kleman of Rapid Motorsports has the fastest NA LS1 in the country and he personally told me he switched from TD's to a Y pipe setup. FWIW
Old 09-19-2005, 05:32 PM
TECH Junkie

one reason that a normal y pipe system doesn't perform as well as a dual system is the shear size of the piping. a y pipe system is usually 3in, at most 4in. with TDs it is usually 2.5 or 3in per pipe so that is like having double the pipe. now 3 in isn't usually needed on a TD setup, but 3 in on a y setup can quickly become a restriction. and some TD systems have actually dynoed higher than a dual cutout due to the scavenging effect of the X pipe(i don't have the dyno charts, but i have seen it)
Old 09-19-2005, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

so, are dual cutouts in the Y pipe going to outflow true duals?