Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header install ?'s, Gaskets, bolts, jacks and stands

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 12:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Header install ?'s, Gaskets, bolts, jacks and stands

Question #1
I will be trying to do my LT's once I get all the parts i need and I plan on using 3~4 ton car stands and a pretty good rolling jack.
My Question is, and this is more opinion than anything,
Do you think it would be safe to prop the rear wheels on cinder blocks instead of leaving them on the stands.
I was thinking 2 blocks each would be strong and stable enough for the job. Is this a redicuolous thought or do you think it would be too risky to try?
I've heard of 2x4's and 4x4's being used in conjunction with the stands, but I figured cinder blocks should be just as solid. Especially with two per wheel.

Question#2

Do you need any sort of sealant on the header gaskets or do they just go on dry.
Reason I ask is as I was picking up some NeverDull I noticed a couple products for gasket sealing purposes and have never read anything like that in any of the threads on header installs.
Just wondering if that was something everyone assumed was done and I just didn't know.

Question #3
Is Antisieze (sp?) the way to go for the header bolts when reinstalling them or would you want some sort of locktite?
I read to clean them up with a wire brush to get all the goop off em, but i want to get them in properly aswell.

Sorry for so many question in one thread but I didn't want to bomb the board with several dumb little ?'s

Thanks for any thoughts
DJ
Old 09-19-2005, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You don't need to put anything on the header gaskets before installing them. For the bolts you are correct with using antisieze. You will also want to use this on the spark plugs too. As far as using cinder blocks for the rear I don't think it would be a problem. However, you are going to be the one laying under the car so do whatever you feel safe with. Personally, I used four jackstands. Since the ones I used in the rear were shorter I placed them on about 4 inches worth of concrete slabs.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:04 PM
12 Second Club

i did mine with the back on the ground. worked out fine.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You will only need one cindr block forthe rear. 2 is way overkill. Place them holes up for added strength.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:14 PM
TECH Regular

yeah you don't need to worry about getting the rear up in the air, just make sure you get the front high enough
Old 09-20-2005, 08:05 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by stangkiller
yeah you don't need to worry about getting the rear up in the air, just make sure you get the front high enough
Thanks for the intel guys.
I might try it without the blocks as you advised.

Also might just post some high rez pics of the event when i get around to it too.

Thanks

DJ