Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ran Open Headers...WOW

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 10:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ran Open Headers...WOW

well saturday i was in my house bored, so i was like wondering what would my car sound like with open headers. so i go up under my car and un bolt my exhaust system (in sig). i drop the car back down and turn it on, when it turned on a huge smile went on my face i drove it around the block and was just amazed at how loud it was and how much i loved it. so i go hope put all my stuff away and drive to my friends house. driving was not bad at all it would buck alittle then ride smooth, and while cruising it sounded so sick. it was a really hot day and it was running fine had no problems with idle or anything. i went WOT and the car just screamed for a second i thought i was driving the C6R. well that night we were going to head over to a spot where people race and i wanted to take my car, you know open headers maybe scare some people. well i turn on my car and the car just starts to idle funny, i drive it around the block and it rides like. the night was still alittle hot but the wind would pick up every one in a while. i let it sit for a while running thinking maybe the car will learn the idle or something because it ran fine earlier now the idle was just crazy my car sounded like i had just installed a TRex cam and it was untuned. i would give it gas and it would sound bad. SES blinked on got the P0300 i believe thats the code for Multiple Misfires. there were times where i would give it gas and flames would shoot from the headers, it looked as if i had a flame thrower kit or some ****. i eventually drove home the car bucking and almost dying at every light, installed my exhaust back on and it ran fine. What do you guys think it could be that the cooler weather at night drove the O2 sensors crazy?
-Joel
Old 09-20-2005, 11:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Disconnected my exhaust, car sounded exceptionally mean, drew stares at the track. Didn't have any problems whatsoever, but I have heard this is hard on the O2 sensor, being so close to the open air.

Car didn't go one ounce faster anyway, so it was a waste of time. Car now running full exhaust again.

QUOTE=2000Hawk]well saturday i was in my house bored, so i was like wondering what would my car sound like with open headers. so i go up under my car and un bolt my exhaust system (in sig). i drop the car back down and turn it on, when it turned on a huge smile went on my face i drove it around the block and was just amazed at how loud it was and how much i loved it. so i go hope put all my stuff away and drive to my friends house. driving was not bad at all it would buck alittle then ride smooth, and while cruising it sounded so sick. it was a really hot day and it was running fine had no problems with idle or anything. i went WOT and the car just screamed for a second i thought i was driving the C6R. well that night we were going to head over to a spot where people race and i wanted to take my car, you know open headers maybe scare some people. well i turn on my car and the car just starts to idle funny, i drive it around the block and it rides like. the night was still alittle hot but the wind would pick up every one in a while. i let it sit for a while running thinking maybe the car will learn the idle or something because it ran fine earlier now the idle was just crazy my car sounded like i had just installed a TRex cam and it was untuned. i would give it gas and it would sound bad. SES blinked on got the P0300 i believe thats the code for Multiple Misfires. there were times where i would give it gas and flames would shoot from the headers, it looked as if i had a flame thrower kit or some ****. i eventually drove home the car bucking and almost dying at every light, installed my exhaust back on and it ran fine. What do you guys think it could be that the cooler weather at night drove the O2 sensors crazy?
-Joel[/QUOTE]
Old 09-20-2005, 11:17 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You most likely got some good ol' free air contamination of your O2 sensors (as in, fresh oxygen was blowing over them, skewing the readings). If you want to run open headers on a more consistent basis, you need to fab up some turn-downs (like 12" long or so) that go off of the headers to eliminate this problem.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:27 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
You most likely got some good ol' free air contamination of your O2 sensors (as in, fresh oxygen was blowing over them, skewing the readings). If you want to run open headers on a more consistent basis, you need to fab up some turn-downs (like 12" long or so) that go off of the headers to eliminate this problem.
That's what it is. Think about how it would want to die at a traffic light. The car isn't moving, allowing air in each time.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

yea i figured it was air getting drawn in and messing with the O2 sensors, im not planning on running open headers. I was just bored in my house and had nothing to do and wondered what it would sound like so i went ahead and did it, didn't take that long to do so it wasn't difficult at all. But i really enjoyed the loudness of it, i had a feeling that i was going to get a ticket but just drew alot of stares and wide open eyes.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:52 PM
12 Second Club

I am doing the LT install myself and the plan is to drive it to the shop to have the rest of the true duals fab'd and installed.
Do yall's think Ima gonna have the same problem, I imagine I would.

The drive is maybe 10 miles at most, so its not a long way.
This IS potentially harmful to the car what with all the fire and such isn't it?

Could I maybe just get some 3" temp exhaust tubing to get me there or just suck it up and drive it out?

DJ

p.s. Is this hijacking your thread, if it is im sorry, and you can emoticon flame me all you want.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

Nah you aren't hijacking it, basically your having a question on something i experienced this saturday. The thing is i drove the car all day perfectly fine and it was loud i didn't even think once about my exhaust system open headers were all that was on my mind and it sounded like a le mans car. but soon as night time came around the car ran totally opposite i don't know if maybe the slight cooler weather had anything to do with it, but from how it drove during the day i think you wont have any problem driving to the shop to get a system fabricated.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:52 PM
12 Second Club

i ran mine open headers for a week, (well a few times over a one week period) and had no idle problems. I guess some people do and some dont, even with the shitty o2 extensions i hacked together.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:37 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk
Nah you aren't hijacking it, basically your having a question on something i experienced this saturday. The thing is i drove the car all day perfectly fine and it was loud i didn't even think once about my exhaust system open headers were all that was on my mind and it sounded like a le mans car. but soon as night time came around the car ran totally opposite i don't know if maybe the slight cooler weather had anything to do with it, but from how it drove during the day i think you wont have any problem driving to the shop to get a system fabricated.
Thanks yall, that eases my mind a bit.

DJ
Old 09-21-2005, 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

The sound if you like really loud, will really wake you up. I thought i was going to wake up the dead. My friend lives across the street and he didn't realize what i did, he said when i drove by he could hear things in his room shaking and felt a rumble. So who knows you might even wake up the dead, but for those that don't like loud this will drive them crazy.