Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QTP install review...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 03:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default QTP install review...

For any that are interested, here' s my review for my QTP header and Y-PIPE install.

First off, like everyone says, these are some beautiful headers. I hate to leave them under the car, they are so nice. Quality is excellent, and welds look great. Lazer-etched logo is way cool. Nice smooth bends and stout flanges. Turbulance spike is sweet. All-in-all, I am SO glad I finally could afford these things.

Header install: Passenger's side- Removed the dipstick, coil pack, and wires. Damn things slid right in. They didn' t touch anything on the way up. Wow. Way better than what I had before.
Driver's side- Removed oil filter and wires. Now, nearly everyone has said to get the car high enough to be able to stand the header completely verticle. THEY ARE RIGHT!!! I had the car on some 6-ton stands, at the very top, and I could not get them in. I thought, first, I could drop the tranny crossmember and swing it over. No dice. Then I conceeded to try to unbolt the motor mount and STILL no dice. After TWO HOURS of this madness, and crazy neighbor convinced me to get it higher. He was right. Got the header completely verticle, and went in with little fuss. I made a bigger fuss about how high and unsafe the car was, than the header was to get in.

Catd' Y-pipe install: What a beeeaach... They look cool. Not as cool as the headers, but cool nonetheless. I was not thinking, and didn' t test fit my pipes together. I ended up trimming a couple of the joints, due to my SLP sfc, and then I took a couple pieces to a muffler shop to open up the ends. I have adjusted them a few times, and the most clearance I can get is about 3.5". Not too good. I have it as high as I can get it, and still, HOPFULLY, have enough clearance not to bang the floor. It' s a price I have to pay for having cats', so oh well.

It took close to 12 hours, total, but 4 or five could have been saved if I checked my flange fitment, on the pipes, and if I got the car high enough the first time. I would highly recommend these to anybody in the market for probably the best headers available for these cars.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:00 AM
TECH Regular

Ditto on getting that driver side in, had to get the car HIGH to get that badboy in there! Well worth it though, I love my QTPs and QTP OR Y pipe.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:07 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by radz282003
Driver's side- Removed oil filter and wires. Now, nearly everyone has said to get the car high enough to be able to stand the header completely verticle. THEY ARE RIGHT!!! I had the car on some 6-ton stands, at the very top, and I could not get them in. I thought, first, I could drop the tranny crossmember and swing it over. No dice. Then I conceeded to try to unbolt the motor mount and STILL no dice. After TWO HOURS of this madness, and crazy neighbor convinced me to get it higher. He was right. Got the header completely verticle, and went in with little fuss. I made a bigger fuss about how high and unsafe the car was, than the header was to get in.
Thanks for the review.
If I may ask, how did you get it higher than the highest setting on the stands?
Something underneath them i would imagine?
Also, where's the best place to (i.e. where did you) put the stands on the front?

I got the same headers and am hopefully doing the install once I get the stands a jack and some time.

Thanks
DJ
Old 09-21-2005, 08:54 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DirtyJohn
Thanks for the review.
If I may ask, how did you get it higher than the highest setting on the stands?
Something underneath them i would imagine?
Also, where's the best place to (i.e. where did you) put the stands on the front?

I got the same headers and am hopefully doing the install once I get the stands a jack and some time.

Thanks
DJ

i used a 2x4 and placed it under the k-member. a 4x4 block would probably work a little better.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:32 AM
TECH Resident

I won' t tell you exaclty how I did it, because I would not recommend it. I honesty placed the jack stands under the roll bar brackets ( where they bolt to the unibody rails ) and under the roll bar brackets under the rear axle. I ended up using my high lift SUV jack, on the left side, under my SLP sfc and lifted the body up, about 6-8 inches off the left front jack stand. VERY DANGEROUS!!! Please don' t do it that way. Okay, I told you, but please consider another way. My point is, my experience showed me that yes, it will go in, if it can get 100% verticle. The suggestion above is likely you best bet