Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning after Pacesetter LT, ORY and catback

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 01:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning after Pacesetter LT, ORY and catback

From what I've read on this site I am guessing I will need to have my 98 Z28 A4 tuned after switching from stock exhaust to Pacesetter LT, ORY and catback (w/ no cats). Any ideas on how much the tuning will cost me to have it run correctly? I am not planning on buying the tuning software at this point. Thanks.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

say about 350 to 400
Old 09-21-2005, 04:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a 98 Trans Am and am thinking about buying HPtunners with my LT/ORY setup. If I do I can let you know. Do you need codes deleted or are you just looking for an optimized tune?
Old 09-21-2005, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

I put a 04 z06 engine and Pacesetter LT's w/ORY in my 98z so far it runs really get no problems at all also i have a A4. Gonna get it tuned next year gonna park the car in nov.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:40 PM
TECH Resident

I just did lt's and ory car is running strong. Everycar is different but don't think you have to tune right away. Alot of people wait for tuning until the get a cam installed. I would say your looking at 400 for a good tune. Good luck.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted the same question in the PCM section, lets say I have HP tuners, what should I do to optimize the cars performance?
Old 09-21-2005, 09:10 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

I guess every car is different. I recently did LT's, ORY. I'm running a -little- lean at cruise, a little rich at WOT and about -10 on the LTFT @ idle .(rich).
I wish there was someone close to me that did tuning.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

Finished doing the whole pacesetter LT, tsp catted y pipe, to my borla i have had. Also have a 75 shot, havent had a tune yet. I got a quote of 550 to have the headers, y pipe, NOS dry kit, and 3.73 gears tuned.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:56 AM
Staging Lane

Well I am going to give you all my opinion and especially ewj since you don't have a close tuner. I got a mail tune from RWTD (RWTD.COM) Some guys are against mail tunes but I have to tell ya James and those guys at RWTD really know what they are doing and have an awesome price. $125 unlimited tuning (for future mods) All you need is a predator. There are many guys on here that have some for sell. I picked mine up for $300 shipped new in the box. So total $425. I have a cam, LT's o/r y-pipe, cat-back, lid etc. They will tell you exactly what you have to do, VERY EASY. You give them your car make and info and all the mods you have. They wrote my tune and the first shot was perfect. When I put my car on the dyno the tuner asked me where I got the tune because the a/f ratio was absolutley perfect. When I told him he could not believe it. If you need to see my graph feel free to ask and I will send. These guys also tune KENNE BELL, and Whipple Cobras threw email so I think that says enough, and if you look around I think you be very pleased.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

For the most part tunning for headers/ORY/Catback is accomplished by adjusting the VE tables to fix the lean condition that headers cause.

Here's what the before and after tables look like...it's a subtle difference on screen..but in reality the car runs much better on the new tune. If you have HPTuners or something similar its really worth the time to adjust for the LT's.
Attached Thumbnails Tuning after Pacesetter LT, ORY and catback-oldprimeve-small-.jpg   Tuning after Pacesetter LT, ORY and catback-newprimeve-small-.jpg   Tuning after Pacesetter LT, ORY and catback-oldsecve-small-.jpg   Tuning after Pacesetter LT, ORY and catback-newsecve-small-.jpg  

Last edited by NassyVette; 09-22-2005 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:20 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Good ideas. Unfortunately both cost prohibitive right now.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is their anyway you can explain or interpret those nassyvette,

thanks
Old 09-22-2005, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SLIKWS6
Is their anyway you can explain or interpret those nassyvette,

thanks
Since long tubes create a lean condition on a stock motor the computer compensates by adding more fuel...making the car run rich. By tuning the VE tables (pictured above), you eliminate the computer's need to add extra fuel. You tune it by using the LTFTs (long term fuel trims) and STFT's (short term fuel trims) as references to how the VE table must be altered. Positive LTFT's mean fuel is being added to correct a lean condition and negatives mean a rich condition. The table above is a correction of the slight lean condition caused by the LT's. The goal is to have stfts/ltfts slightly negative so the car runs slightly rich (room for error)..and then the PE can be tuned to get the desired AFR, but the VE MUST be tuned first.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:23 PM
Teching In

I have the typical intake and exhaust bolt ons on my car, any thoughts on how much power I would pick up with a tune? I pulled 324 hp on a dynojet a month ago - I was expecting / hoping it would have pulled 350 hp. Is it unrealistic to expect 25 hp from a tune? Seems like a lot, but I think that my car should pull that with the mods I have.

I do know that my rear tires are heavy (60 lb ea vs. 45 lb ea stock) and that will show up on a dyno, but not sure how much of an impact it is...? In the dyno section, there are graphs of cars set up similar to mine that pulled 360 hp.

Other than the marginal power, the car runs great, and I've gone over everything I can think of looking for any little details that might not be up to par, but I can't find anything, so I'm banking on a big improvement from a tune, but I think I'm setting myself up to be disappointed with the results. Any comments or actual experience of before and after results with a similar tune would be appreciated
Old 09-23-2005, 12:54 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So for a OBD1 im going to have to chip it right? pcmforless.com i hear theyer great!