Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help....just installed hooker long tubes....

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help....just installed hooker long tubes....

i just got done my 3 day install of my hooker long tubes and O/R pipe. But the car runs like ****. in park and neutral the car sounds fine. but when i put it in gear it seems very very sluggish and almost wants to stall (98 ta a4 64k miles) when i give it 1/4 throttle or a bit less it backfires violently and after a few times of that my ses light started blinking....then a few moments after that it stopped blinking but was still on ( but it was on a few moments after the first start up anyway) i dont have o2 sims on it....is it possible that it is retarting the timing that bad. or would not locking a spark plug wire into place tight enough cause this? please help ASAP im really discouraged
Old 09-23-2005, 08:00 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its your 02, i garuntee it
Old 09-23-2005, 08:02 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok so i dont garuntee it, but im pretty sure its ur o2 sensors, a loose plug wire wouldnt be screwing things up that bad. At least i don think it would.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SES light blinking means a miss fire, check the plugs for cracks in the insulator (the white part) also make sure you got the wires on, (2 clicks) or didn't damage the wires when you removed them
The rear O2s make sure the cats are functioning properly, and aside from setting an SES light should not affect performance (at least not to the extent you're descibing)
BTW you did check the front O2s for burnt wire(s)
You did install the front O2s didn't you
Old 09-23-2005, 09:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree....check the plugs/wires. When I installed my Kooks a few months ago, the very same thing happened...car ran like s#it, and I got a SES light. After she cooled down, I threw 'er up on the lift, and sure enough, the passenger side rear plug wire was not snapped on tightly. I pushed it on until I heard the "click", and problem solved.

This doesn't mean you should rule out your 02 sensors, though....check them too. Those harness clips can be a rotten bich to snap together all the way.