Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electronic vs regular cut-out $

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 05:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electronic vs regular cut-out $

What's the difference in price/install price for a electronic cut-out vs a normal one?
Old 09-24-2005, 05:06 PM
12 Second Club

well a cutout is around $50, the electric valve is between $100-$125 on top of that. The install of a cutout at most muffler shops is between $20-40 and if you have a friend with a welder and a sawzall it should be almost free. If you can install an audio system in your car you can installe the electric valve yourself, if you bought it seperate you just have to bolt it up and run the wires, mine run to the center console and thats it. pretty simple. If you have all the tools to do it all youself i'd say 1-2 hours for the entire install. If you cant do the electrical, find a friend who can because it really isnt worth taking to a shop to me.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:16 PM
Launching!

Install the wiring yourself and get a muffler shop to weld it in for 50 bucks or so.I had a manual cutout and now have electric.If you can swing the extra $$$, I would say definatley go electric.So much more convenient and fun. See a cop, close it in 5 seconds.No crawling on the ground to uncap it.

Jay
Old 09-24-2005, 05:17 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just went with a manual cutout, i drive it 24/7 so i didnt see a point in open/closeing it. And it was $60 for parts and install all together.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by spy2520
well a cutout is around $50, the electric valve is between $100-$125 on top of that. The install of a cutout at most muffler shops is between $20-40 and if you have a friend with a welder and a sawzall it should be almost free. If you can install an audio system in your car you can installe the electric valve yourself, if you bought it seperate you just have to bolt it up and run the wires, mine run to the center console and thats it. pretty simple. If you have all the tools to do it all youself i'd say 1-2 hours for the entire install. If you cant do the electrical, find a friend who can because it really isnt worth taking to a shop to me.
Thanks, I think i'm just going to stick with a regular cut-outs (being in college and all) I'm going to run dual cut-outs, I heard the mileage was really bad, so I wanted to see if it was worth getting electrical cut-outs to not suffer the mileage loss.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:35 PM
12 Second Club

i havent noticed much of a mileage loss with it either open or closed, being in college you should be fine with a manual cutout, but since i'm living at home for the next two semesters i need to creep into my neighborhood when its late, the e-cutout helps that, but i doubt you will have the same problem you can probably just run yours open all the time. dual cutouts is loud as hell though, not as bad on stock manifolds, but my single cutout with LTs is ridiculous and duals will only sound closer to open headers, which will get the cops attention.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:49 PM
TECH Resident

With the QTP electric cutouts i can run them partial open on the highway and get better gas mileage. Every little bit counts.