Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hot do my exhaust pipes get?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How hot do my exhaust pipes get?

I'm hooking up a wideband A/F guage to my TA, and the instructions state that an optional thing you can do is put a heat sink in between the O2 sensor and the exhaust bung. I decided to do this for extra insurance to keep my sensor as cool as practical.

Well, I soldered some extra copper that I had on the heat sink. The solder melts @ 460 F. Is this solder that I used going to melt from the heat of the exhaust pipe it's hooked up to?

Here's a picture of what i'm talking about in case you're confused.

Not a huge deal, but i'm curious if I should use some hotter melting solder. Thanks for any advice.

Matt
Old 09-24-2005, 06:49 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

The idea being to let the probe end do its' job but keep the upper portion as cool as possible? If the manufacturer recommends then sounds good to me. I think you'll be more than safe with the solder you used. That far downstream is not superhot, unless for some reason you are on one of the header primary tubes.
Gerald
Old 09-24-2005, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the quick reply Gerald.

I'm planning on having the bung welded onto the X-pipe if there aren't any clearance issues. That way it gets exhaust gasses from both banks.

Matt
Old 09-24-2005, 07:09 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Originally Posted by Ole1830
Thanks for the quick reply Gerald.

I'm planning on having the bung welded onto the X-pipe if there aren't any clearance issues. That way it gets exhaust gasses from both banks.

Matt
Sounds like plan! If clearance is a problem, maybe you could put the bung in the middle (horizontally) on the rear of the X? Should catch a representative sample from both banks there.