Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**HELP**Car missfiring on all cylinders except 5 & 7

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 11:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **HELP**Car missfiring on all cylinders except 5 & 7

I've noticed the car missing at idle and getting worse. I replaced the current NGK 55's with new ones & Taylor thunder volt wires. Missing is worse now. My first test drive the car drove amazing. I went back home and finished bolting the drivers side coil packs down and went out again. This time it ran like crap and the SES light started flashing Went back home moved the wires around on the drivers coil pack harness. Still missing at idle but fine under load...

I took it to a local shop today and they hooked a scanner up. Missfire gets alot worse at idle but still ok under load? Changed wires back to stock with no difference. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Kevin
Old 09-26-2005, 12:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by silver02Z
I've noticed the car missing at idle and getting worse. I replaced the current NGK 55's with new ones & Taylor thunder volt wires. Missing is worse now. My first test drive the car drove amazing. I went back home and finished bolting the drivers side coil packs down and went out again. This time it ran like crap and the SES light started flashing Went back home moved the wires around on the drivers coil pack harness. Still missing at idle but fine under load...

I took it to a local shop today and they hooked a scanner up. Missfire gets alot worse at idle but still ok under load? Changed wires back to stock with no difference. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Kevin
i was gonna say that you needed to push the wires on the plugs all the way, cuz i have had the same problem before. but you said you put the stock wires back on and still had the same problem, my guess is you have a fouled out plug or plugs. try swapping the plugs out and then put you taylor's back on.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:28 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

OK, they hooked a scanner up. Did they drive it with the scanner hooked up and check everything out? It's been my experience that many shops don't try to drive/log real time data, just use those little plugin modules to try and diagnose what they don't know jack about. (/rant off/)
Also not uncommon to get misfires at idle after LT install.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gwj
OK, they hooked a scanner up. Did they drive it with the scanner hooked up and check everything out? It's been my experience that many shops don't try to drive/log real time data, just use those little plugin modules to try and diagnose what they don't know jack about. (/rant off/)
Also not uncommon to get misfires at idle after LT install.
Yeah we drove it around the block several times, got on it pretty good from 1st - 3rd. Not missfiring now under load just at idle. When I first changed the plugs and wires i got the flashing SES light at 5k rpms in first gear..I went home and moved the coil wires around and it stopped? It's possible the o2's are gone from driving it around town on open headers.

Kevin