Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car jerks at low RPMs after stat install

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car jerks at low RPMs after stat install

I just finished putting my 160 degree stat on my 99 WS-6 and everything seems to check out ok. No leaks, guages read fine, plenty of coolant, etc. I didn't program the fans after the install so they HAVE NOT yet turned on AT ALL. I'm guessing they won't until i either program them or get the fan switch, huh?

Here's where my other issue lies: After everything was said and done, i drove it around the block just to get the circulation going again. When i'm in first and accelerate, it jiggles. Like kinda jerks for a little bit and eventually smooths out. Same with 2nd and 3rd at low RPMs. It's almost like it's having trouble keeping an idle. If any of you've had a misfire problem b4, you can relate it to that feeling. Sort of like a "push" "pull" in rapid succession. You could even describe it as a "shaking". It feels like fuel is being injected into the engine in spurts and it's not getting a consistent flow. I don't know much about how the fuel system works but i'm just confused how a simple stat swap can effect the fuel, if that's even it. Heck, for all i know it could be the gears. Maybe they aren't catching? Can anyone help me out?

Last edited by Vrbas; 10-01-2005 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:10 PM
Restricted User

did you re-check your vacumn hoses, egr and air lines?
Old 10-01-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

Everything is checked. All hoses secure and tight, all sensors securely in place, etc. I have no idea what is wrong??? How can a stat swap cause a problem like this?
Old 10-01-2005, 04:45 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

I doubt it has anything to do with the stat itself. You must have disturbed something else during the install that is causing this issue, or there is always the possibility of a coincidence that something broke at the same time but I doubt it.

Did you do or touch anything else under the hood during the install? Any chance at all that you could have knocked a spark plug wire loose at any time? Did you work on anything else besides the stat since the last time you drove it?

And finally, are you getting an SES light?
Old 10-01-2005, 04:45 PM
Restricted User

did you throw a code?
Old 10-01-2005, 04:49 PM
TECH Resident

I did EVERYTHING EXACTLY like it was on this site....... http://installuniversity.com/install...sity/index.htm
Go to "Install Documents" and then click "160 stat swap" under COOLING.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:52 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Maybe not something you did during the actual install, but while you were under the hood did you mess with anything else at all?

And again, are you getting an SES light?
Old 10-01-2005, 04:55 PM
Restricted User

you must have done something by accident. did you make sure you didnt crack or partially disconect the sensor on the intake lid?
Old 10-01-2005, 04:59 PM
Restricted User

i bet the problem was caused in this step...

12. Remove the wire harnesses from the intake air temperature sensor on the air box lid, the mass-air-flow sensor and the two throttle body sensors (see Figure 11). Moving these wires out of the way makes it a lot easier to perform the next step
Old 10-01-2005, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Maybe not something you did during the actual install, but while you were under the hood did you mess with anything else at all?

And again, are you getting an SES light?
No lights. The only thing i've touched under the hood is the water pump, the hoses, the sensors (Air Lid, Throttle Body, MAF), and that's about it. The only things i've touched under the hood is what is found on that website.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WS6nJAX
i bet the problem was caused in this step...

12. Remove the wire harnesses from the intake air temperature sensor on the air box lid, the mass-air-flow sensor and the two throttle body sensors (see Figure 11). Moving these wires out of the way makes it a lot easier to perform the next step
Well, i've double and triple checked those to make sure they are securely in place. What could have gone wrong?
Old 10-01-2005, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my guess would be something simple like a spark plug wire not all the way on
Old 10-02-2005, 12:02 AM
Restricted User

you know that just for ***** and grins you could always disconnect the battery, let it sit for a while, reconnect and see if something might re-set its self. if you have tried everything else guess it wouldnt hurt.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:07 AM
TECH Resident

Could i use a programmer to try and locate the problem? Would that work?
Old 10-02-2005, 12:15 AM
Restricted User

programmer will only tell you what the code / dtc is if the ses light is on.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:17 AM
TECH Resident

Well put it this way, i had a misfire in one of my cylinders a long time ago and i didn't see ONE light. I know programmers can pick up misfires, could they not pick up something like this even though the lights check out ok? I have a feeling it has something to do with the clutch maybe, i dunno though. What does it sound like to y'all?
Old 10-02-2005, 12:17 AM
Restricted User

have you tried to disconnect something like the egr or air to see if the ses light is even working?
Old 10-02-2005, 11:01 AM
TECH Resident

The light works i know that. About 1 week ago i was running open engine and my O2 sensor got pissed off and turned on my engine light. Once we put on the Y-pipe and hooked it back up to the rest of the exhaust the light went off. So i'm sure the light isn't the problem. It's just soo weird that this happened after i installed a new stat. I know i didn't tamper with anything else under the hood and i double checked that i didn't. It's just everytime i put it in each new gear (first does it the most) it gives me that wobble. Could it be that my car needs a tune? I haven't tuned it at all and all my mods are listed in my sig. Maybe that has something to do with it?
Old 10-02-2005, 11:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

how much have you driven the car since you disconnected the y-pipe? how soon after did you change the t-stat?
Old 10-02-2005, 12:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by slowpoke96z28
how much have you driven the car since you disconnected the y-pipe? how soon after did you change the t-stat?
I drove the car for roughly 2 weeks open header. I recently put the Y-pipe on and drove it b4 the stat swap for about 1 week. After i switched the thermostat, i drove the car around to get all the coolant and junk running through the engine again. Of course the fans never came on b\c i didn't program them to but that's not my problem, i know what to do there. All i know is that all my lights are fine, no warning signals or nothing. The only thing that isn't right is how each gear starts. I does a little shake at the beginning of each new gear. No matter how much gas i give it it'll still "stall" there for a second. First gear is the worst. You know how if you dump the clutch too quickly it will stall the car? You know how when your car ALMOST stalls and the engine gets real quiet but it catches itself and resumes idle? Well when it does the "almost catch" it shakes like crazy. It's just plain not smooth at all. It's all jerky and crap. That's the best way to describe it.