Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did I do to her?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 10:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What did I do to her?????

I just finished puttin Pacesetter Long Tubes on my car adn now somethings really messed up. I had to take it to Meinake to have them place the Y pipe on and it was all good to go. Not quite

I hear a grinding someimes, mostly at light throttle when I just start to get the car moving. I figured maybe Mienake had put the Y pipe to close to the grind shaft and it was grinding, but I got under there and founds thats not the case.
Now when I drive it sometimes it bogs down terribly, to the point of not moving at all at times, and I still hear a grinding sound sometimes. I'm at a loss what could I have done to her.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:28 AM
Banned

Perhaps the grinding has nothing to do with the headers. Just a coincidence. You may be having issues with the clutch, tranny, differential. The lack of power would explain some of this. Ask yourself what parts are moving, and what kind pitch is it?
Old 10-04-2005, 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

what do you mean by grinding sound? when you say grinding i think of an actual metal grinding, like a messed up gear in a transmission or something. thats not something you'd typically do during the course of a header install.

now when you say bogging down, i'd look into whether you have your o2 sensors plugged in, all the electrical connectors plugged in in the engine bay, all your cylinders are getting fuel and spark, and so on. do you have a catted y or an ORY? if an ORY, did you get rear o2 sims or did you get the rear o2 sensors tuned out?

all things to think about/look into.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:55 AM
TECH Resident

no I have the rear O2s just sitting there. Would that make the bogging happen?
I was under the impression that it would only det an SES light and nothing else...
Old 10-04-2005, 11:12 AM
12 Second Club

Im guessing ur "grinding" is prolly ur Y-pipe or headers rubbing on something like the K member. I had to have a shop weld me an extra bracket to hold the y-pipe still cause it would rub all the time.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:19 AM
TECH Resident

Ok just went out in it again...
The bogging is pretty terrible. Even if I sit there and just rev the engine it will get all messed up. Guess I'm takin it to the shop.
Ive officially spent $1200 on coated pacesetter headers.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

When I had my LT's and Y put on I had to get it tuned, cause it was running too rich and to fix the O2's....
Old 10-04-2005, 11:48 AM
TECH Resident

I hear a ticking underneath the car. I;ve read that this can be fixed by the AIR restriction plate mod. Could this cause any of these other problems??
Old 10-04-2005, 12:00 PM
12 Second Club

How did u spend 1200? U can get the headers and TSP ORY from TSP for 500 even not including shipping.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Resident

ok your right, more like 800-900. Because I have to put it in the shop now to find out what problem this is.

But could the AIR system cause these problems??
Old 10-04-2005, 12:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vMaster0fPuppets
I just finished puttin Pacesetter Long Tubes on my car adn now somethings really messed up. I had to take it to Meinake to have them place the Y pipe on and it was all good to go. Not quite

I hear a grinding someimes, mostly at light throttle when I just start to get the car moving. I figured maybe Mienake had put the Y pipe to close to the grind shaft and it was grinding, but I got under there and founds thats not the case.
Now when I drive it sometimes it bogs down terribly, to the point of not moving at all at times, and I still hear a grinding sound sometimes. I'm at a loss what could I have done to her.

What is a grind shaft? Sounds pretty kinky...

It is probably the y-pipe hitting on the floor board. Either that or there is a heat shield rubbing against the exhaust. It could also be that the exhaust shop installed a C clamp on the intermediate pipe with the bolt end facing the drive shaft...

...is that what you meant.. drive shaft..
Old 10-04-2005, 12:56 PM
TECH Resident

yes yes I did mean driveshaft.

but im a pervert, so sick things often pop into my head.

But I did check to see if there was something touchin the driveshaft and nothing.

And when the car grinds I can actually feal soemthing slowing the car down. The bogging does it too but this is something different.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:58 PM
12 Second Club

no I have the rear O2s just sitting there. Would that make the bogging happen?
I was under the impression that it would only det an SES light and nothing else...

you say you have them sitting there? does that mean they are plugged in and just tucked away?
Old 10-04-2005, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Keenov
What is a grind shaft? Sounds pretty kinky...
Old 10-04-2005, 01:03 PM
11 Second Club

yes yes I did mean driveshaft.

but im a pervert, so sick things often pop into my head.

But I did check to see if there was something touchin the driveshaft and nothing.

And when the car grinds I can actually feal soemthing slowing the car down. The bogging does it too but this is something different.
Make sure all of the spark plug wires are connected correctly.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:12 PM
TECH Resident

Ok with the rear O2s I actually took one of them out and laid it aside, the other I cut the wires because I could not reach up there to remove the plug. Lazy yes, I know but I hope this didnt mess anything up. But now I have an SES light on because the rear O2s are not there, I was under the impression that no rear O2s would only cause The light and not affect performance. Am I wrong?
Old 10-04-2005, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

I THINK all the spark plug wirees are connected correctly, but how do I make sure. Ihave never replaced spark plugs before and dont really know how to tell.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Yea youll get the SES light from the O2 sensors......I have the pacesetter LT and catted y pipe.......i have the banging/grinding sound at certain rpms. Its the cat banging on the floorboard when the car is in drive. The movement of the engine causes the banging to occur......if you have your car in park, does it make the grinding sound when you rev it??? If it doesnt, then its most likely something hitting on your floorboard.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:28 PM
TECH Resident

No no grindin sound when revved, but it just doesnt seem as it its something bangin the floorboard. no ping but sometimes a click-like sound
Old 10-04-2005, 01:48 PM
11 Second Club

I THINK all the spark plug wirees are connected correctly, but how do I make sure. Ihave never replaced spark plugs before and dont really know how to tell.
The wire should click twice when putting it on the coil pack (top) and it should click once when going over the spark plug (bottom).