Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have this problem with asp crank and overdrive alt pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone have this problem with asp crank and overdrive alt pulley?

I installed my ASP crank pully and didnt have an impact wrench so I didnt put the alternator pulley on. Everything worked fine and lined up perfect without the alternator pulley. I installed my overdrive alternator pulley today and the lower bolt that holds the alternator bracket in place is in the way of the belt . Has anyone else .had this problem and/or found a cure for it? Everything is lined up properly as far as i can tell. I appears its just because the diameter of both pulleys is smaller than the stock ones so it doesnt clear that bolt.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I installed the pulley, I just did the ASP Crank pulley. No reason to do the alternator overdrive pulley unless you have a system in your car or have problems with charging.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not just put the stocker on and gain a couple of hp? Do you have a big stereo system? Have charging issues(auto)?
Old 10-05-2005, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My car is a 6 Speed and I know its not necessary. I do have a stereo. The thing that sucks is I bought the belt for the overdrive alternator and underdrive crank. If I swap back to the stocker I will need another belt. Its weird cause I have never heard of this happening.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok I went to work on it some more and slid the stocker back on and it also doesnt clear the bolt now. Its like the alternator shifted positions. When you try to place the belt on with either pulley the belt lies directly on the bolt and needs about 3/8 to 1/2 an inch to clear it. Does anyone know if the belt normally lies above or below the bolt? If the alternator comes out 3/8 to 1/2 an inch I will definately have belt problems cause the pulleys are lined up perfectly. ANY IDEAS?